Handbrake...where's the file??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TaKashMoney, Jan 29, 2006.

1. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Not sure if anyone can help me out. I was trying to make a copy of one of my dvds today using handbrake, and the thing finished ripping, and poof no file anywhere. Spotlight was no help at all. I tried it again and same dice.
    Any ideas what may be occurring.
    Thanks a lot for the help
    T

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Typically, Handbrake puts the ripped file on your desktop.

Before you start the ripping process, you can specify the location to save the file in the upper-right corner of the Handbrake window.

3. TaKashMoney thread starter macrumors 6502

Right I understand that. It worked once and from then on just stopped working for me.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, if the file is not appearing in the location you specified, sounds like it's time to head on over to http://handbrake.m0k.org/ and see if they have any info on what's happening.

5. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

Did it take the usual amout of time to rip the DVD? If it was significantly less that would be a sign that it didn't properly rip. But it's strange that Spotlight produced no results. Any luck yet?

6. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

If you didn't set a the location or name for your file the default is 'movie'. So you could try searching for that. But normally in that case it would just save to the desktop.

7. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Handbrake typically puts it on the desktop, and renames the file Movie.Mp4, or whatever movie format you have ripped it in. So, if you have Handbrake set to put it in a different location, just look (or search in Spotlight) for a file just named "Movie.Mp4."

8. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I'm having this problem in a new Mac Mini. Very strange. It runs through the rip, but the file is not created. Spotlight doesn't find it. "Find" doesn't find it. No new movies. No new file of any kind. I'm certain of the destination filename. Any ideas? Very strange?