Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
The Quality Average Bitrate is 2500.
Audio Sample Rate 48000 and Bitrate 320
Picture Setting - not reduced.

This is the same that I've been using for other movies added to iTunes. They look FANTASTIC on 52" Plasama TV.

Someone just e-mailed me to tell me that the setting I'm using in Handbrake won't allow the videos to work in the iPod Video.
Is this correct? I was told that the above settings were the best for watching them through a TV and on an iPod.
I know that it works with TV, but will it also work with the new :apple:TV?

I don't have a Video iPod anymore, I lost it in September, and was waiting until Mac World San Fransisco for a new "true video" iPod - but none came. So I can't try it myself.

Why won't the settings allow the stuff I've ripped play on a video ipod?
What are the correct settings I should be using? - which will allow me to use on a iPod and also still view them on a TV.
Will the new iPhone or rumored "Video iPod" allow me to play the settings I've been using - just that I have 15 movies and 8 (22eps) TV Shows, and I don't really want to re-rip them.

Thanks for any information.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Just found out that my cousin has a video iPod (5thGen), he doesn't use the video side of it :eek: I can't believe it.

What would happened if i borrowed it and hooked it up to my PowerBook to see if any of my videos will work on it?

He doesn't have an Apple Computer, I'm the only person in my whole town who uses Apple Computer, so obviously he's been using it with iTunes on Windows.

Will it work? Plugging from Windows into Mac?
And, what would happen when i get it? Would I need to erase it?
Then what will he need to do to get it working with Windows again?

THANKS for any help.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
It would be easier to put the movie onto a CD and import it into his iTunes, then try to put it onto his iPod. Remember to delete it afterwards, as only you are the owner ;)

I think the above settings might work, but we need to know the resolution you've selected. The iPod can only display movies with no more than 480 lines, so if your movies have more, then they won't play on an iPod. Also did you use Mpeg4 or H.264?

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
I think the above settings might work, but we need to know the resolution you've selected. The iPod can only display movies with no more than 480 lines, so if your movies have more, then they won't play on an iPod. Also did you use Mpeg4 or H.264?

Resolution? Is that under the Picture Settings in Handbrake? If so I haven't changed anything under this tab.
It's been at the default for Mpeg4.

I did change it, when I first ripped a movie but the picture quality was really bad when it was hooked up to my television.

It would be easier to put the movie onto a CD and import it into his iTunes, then try to put it onto his iPod. Remember to delete it afterwards, as only you are the owner
Ok, I had backed-up a couple of the TV Shows I had in iTunes, was running out of Harddrive space, so I traveled into his house and put the disc in the drive, and nothing was recognised. I tried another and still nothing was recognised. I don't know why? I have given up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.