Handbreak audio

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by aaronthomas, Jul 30, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

aaronthomas

Hey all... so i ripped some of my dvds and im having a issue with the volume.... not so much the back ground noise but with the dialogue. Im using the ipod hi-rez preset with aac+ac3 audio and 160kbps audio... anybody have any ideas what i could do to boost up the voices... Thanks
    Aaron

2. macrumors 68020

Well, the only way to modify the volume of your aac track (which is the one you hear on your ipod) is http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/DynRangeCompression

Note, It's controlled in the Audio Tab of course and has no effect on the ac3 track, just the aac track.

3. macrumors regular

aaronthomas

Thanks Dynaflash.... but im still confused.... Should i just use the aac audio or can i still use the aac +ac3 audio and change the dynamic range compression. Im using my ipod to watch on my tv if that helps.

4. macrumors 68020

Well, you can certainly bump up the dynamic range and see if you like it better. Its fine to use with aac+ac3 as it won't touch the ac3 track and only gets applied to the aac track (which of course is all your using with your ipod). I recommend testing a chapter that you don't like the sound on and see how you like a few different settings.

One note: Beware that just like subs, this is hardcoded into your movie, in other words there is no way to turn it off once you've encoded it.

5. macrumors regular

aaronthomas

Ok... ill give it a shot! Last question will bumping up the bitrate in audio quality to 160 help as well? Dynaflash thanks so much!

6. macrumors 68020

Um, for dpl2 I recommend it. However in your OP you said thats what you're already using <confused>. At any rate, yes I would use 160 kbps for your aac audio bitrate.

7. macrumors regular

aaronthomas

Yeah... just wanted to make sure it was the right thing.... Thanks again for your help!