Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkruehne

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2014
why is this so complex ?

the continuity / handoff feature should work on my mid 2012 MBP and iPhone 5s but it doesn't work? why is it so hard to get this running?
- facetime log out / log in
- iCloud log out / log in
- all the settings turn on (allow iPhone calls, hand off...)

the only thing i could do is to do a phone call from my mbp, (and airdrop in both ways) but i would like to have at least the mail thing running (start on the MBP and edit it on the iPhone…

did anybody have a suggestion how to manage this?
(step by step instructions?)

thanks.
jk

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
the continuity / handoff feature should work on my mid 2012 MBP and iPhone 5s but it doesn't work? why is it so hard to get this running?
- facetime log out / log in
- iCloud log out / log in
- all the settings turn on (allow iPhone calls, hand off...)

the only thing i could do is to do a phone call from my mbp, (and airdrop in both ways) but i would like to have at least the mail thing running (start on the MBP and edit it on the iPhone…

did anybody have a suggestion how to manage this?
(step by step instructions?)

thanks.
jk
The feature you're specifically trying to get running is called Handoff (classic example is starting an email on one device and continuing it on another). Your devices shouldn't need any modifications to get the feature working, but there are two things that are not always obvious that might be worth mentioning:
1) Bluetooth needs to be enabled on both devices.
2) If trying to "hand off" from your iPhone to your Mac, your iPhone's screen must be on and the phone screen must be set to the document that you are trying to "hand off." If you look at something else or turn the screen off then the "hand off" will not appear (or will disappear, if you already saw it).

One final consideration is whether your devices are on each other's lists for Bluetooth. This should have happened automatically. You can look on their Bluetooth lists to check, or you can check the functionality by looking at your computer's wifi list to see if your phone's "instant hotspot" is working. If it is, then the Bluetooth link is functioning properly and Handoff should work; if it isn't, then that's a potential snag that is preventing it from working.

Last edited:

jkruehne

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2014
ah, thanks for the info …

to use itis confusing anyway - to much settings …?
- at the moment it works, but than it interrupts …
- it works after sending files via AirDrop .?
- but than BT was down (?)

there should only be one icon for iOS devices and Mac menu bar like "Handsoff on/off"
(or maybe "Continuity on/off", name it as they want)

one function to allow communication between iOS and OSx devices…
- on. off.
… maybe with iOS 10 … ?

imagine wlan on, BT on, battery empty :D

alentje

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2015
Sorry for opening this old thread again, but it's ridiculous how older Macs can't have Continuity, even my Mac Mini mid 2011 which besides the MacBook Air was the first mac to get BT 4.0. I don't get it. I am almost 100% positive that my Mac has the ability to support Continuity but Apple, as always, makes a reason to buy a new Mac. So, if my machine has BT 4.0, is there any way to enable it non-officcialy?

Thanks guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.