Hands down, the best new comedy on TV

Discussion in 'Community' started by urban1985_, Dec 19, 2004.

1. urban1985_ macrumors regular

Arrested Development. It's in its second season right now, and it's amazingly hilarious. It was feared to be cancelled due to lack of viewership, but winning 5 Emmy's and getting critical acclaims helped it stay.

Anyone else love this show?

Gob's got to be the best character.

2. RubberChicken macrumors regular

RubberChicken

It been running a couple of weeks here in Australia, and I love it.
    My other favourites comedy shows are Little Britain and Scrubs.

A new HBO masterpiece drama called Carnivale started last night, really awesome.

3. aus_dave macrumors regular

It's a good show, the absence of a laugh track is a nice change for a US sitcom :D. It's not The Office but it's still good...

Unfortunately the network screening it here isn't giving it much of a chance. Tomorrow it is on at 11 pm - right after 'Miracle on 34th Street"
    :rolleyes:.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nothing good ever lasts because people have poor taste. Actually, Americans have poor taste, so every American show that's decent gets cancelled before the rest of the world (Canada, Australia) get it.

Anyone remember a show called "Sports Night"?? It was so good, but it got cancelled. Twice. However, the writing was so excellent that the guy was hired to start another show called THe West Wing.... :rolleyes:

5. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I am sure glad Australians have awesome taste and an uncanny ability to not make broad generalizations.

Also, I wonder if Europe can fit in to the rest of the world? Ohkay.

:mad:

OK back on topic.

Arrested Development is great, however I wish David Cross would be more in the spot-light. Anyone remember Mr. Show?

6. joetronic macrumors 6502

Mr. Show was great!!! I still remember just about evry episode. Must have pee'd my self a dozen times watch that.

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Mr. Show was GREAT! David Cross is funny in an understated "disturbed, scary, might be a serial killer" kind of way.
    Haven't seen Arrested Development yet. Keep telling myself I ought to catch it, keep forgetting to. TV isn't interesting until Alias comes back on in January.

8. mpw Guest

I don't know what's been aired in Oz (or whether "Little Britain" is even on in the US) but the 2nd season just ended on BBC3 in the UK. If you've only seen the 1st you're in for a treat, it just gets better.

The only downside will be if they edit or censor it. They've censored it for the move from BBC3 to mainstream BBC1.

"Bitty?)

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

10. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Little Britain and the Office are both on BBC america and are extremely funny.

I knew when i saw the title of this thread that it was going to be a thread on Arrested Development. It is the funniest comedy to be on in america in several years. Ron Howard does a great job with this show, and i like how he does the voice-overs to move the story along. David Cross and Jason Bateman are great in the show. All of the roles are very well acted.

Last night's episode was great. The office party scene with karaoke was hilarious.

11. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I was in eighth grade when that show was cancelled, and I remember thinking, "Why'd they cancel that? That was the only show I cared to make a point to watch every week."

I never got into "The West Wing", unfortunately. I pretty much have given up on television entirely.

12. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Arrested is my favorite show (hence the avatar)! Without a doubt the funniest show on television.

13. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I keep meaning to catch Arrested Development too.

I didn't know David Cross was on that show! I never knew about Mr. Show, but thankfully they realeased a DVD and I've seen that. Some of the best twisted humor I've come across.

So what kind of comedy would one call AD?

14. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

It's hard to say because there really hasn't been a show like it. It sometimes reminds me of a Seinfeld/Larry David-esque type show because they do really well with tying plot lines together, making funny references to past shows, and things like that.

A lot of the jokes are subtle and are callbacks to other episodes, so new viewers would be best off renting/buying the season 1 DVDs and watching first...otherwise, a lot of the really funny stuff won't make sense.

15. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

As an American you'd think I'd take offense to that. But I don't. For every successful but vapid show like Fear Factor and My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss, there are a few amazingly good shows that get the axe or languish unwatched by the masses. So do Americans as a rule like to escape reality by watching these idiotic wastes of time, or do they really identify with them and truly find them worthy of their time? That's the question, and the answer is, in my humble but staunch opinion, that, alas, we are a nation made up of an uncomfortable percentage of dumb-asses.

16. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

It's true..most people don't want to be made to think. That's why AD will never be as popular as say, "According to Jim." It's a shame!

17. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I'm not sure what the best episode this season has been so far...I'm stuck between the one where Buster thinks he's in Mexico (he's really just at his housekeeper's house), or the one from last week where the mistake a picture of Tobias' (David Cross) balls for a picture of land in Iraq where they're hiding WMDs! This show is just too much...

18. railthinner macrumors regular

from the thread title I was expecting Drawn Together discussion but I haven't caught AD yet. I'll have to get on it. Seems like whenever I watch less tv I miss something good -- part of the addictive cycle.

19. ghiangelo macrumors newbie

for a prime time sitcom designed for family viewing, 'According to Jim' has some odd mature content sometimes. more of that will be happening since the political lines have been drawn and another liberal/conservative fight begins.

but for leading edge comedy, 'Puppets Who Kill' and 'Trailer Park Boys' are at the top. they also are two Canadian productions.

20. mcarvin macrumors regular

Carnivale's second season starts on 1/9 here in the States.

My vote goes for Venture Bros., hands down. Did anyone see the Christmas special from last night?

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Writing into the networks does make a difference, they do listen. Networks are in the business of making money.

I don't watch much TV anymore either.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I agree with that. A lot of good shows get deep-sixed simply because Americans prefer crap.

Having said that, I'll confess that I haven't seen Arrested Development yet, but I keep hearing good things about it.

I did the same thing with Sports Night...didn't catch it 'til the second season, then saw it get cancelled, and ended up enjoying it in reruns.

I'll have to make a better effort to watch AD. Right now my son gets the TV on Sunday nights (ESPN football), but the season's almost over....

23. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    HUFF gets my vote for funniest new show.

russell the lawyer is so me 20 years ago.

24. urban1985_ thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I love all the subtle jokes in the show.

It's definitely one of the smartest things to come out in American TV in a while. It's sad that a show named My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss airs right after it.