Hands On with Apple's New 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 23, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following the introduction of the new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro at its media event, Apple invited attendees to spend some time with the machine. Overall, the early hands-on impressions are favorable, with the reduction in thickness and weight making a significant difference for professionals on the go, but the high price tag associated with the Retina display and solid-state storage mean that it likely won't quite be able to inherit the non-Retina model's popularity just yet.

Engadget:
    [​IMG]
    TechCrunch:
    SlashGear:
    The Verge:
    Article Link: Hands On with Apple's New 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro

2. macrumors 6502a

camomac

It's growing on me! Now if my bank account could catch up..

3. macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

With no discrete graphics card, what differentiates this from a MacBook Air [if they were to drop a Retina display in it?] :confused:

4. macrumors 6502a

Zeov

oh man what a keynote !

5. macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

I will never buy a 13" macbook.
    For portablility, I like the 11" air, and for real work, I can't deal with a screen smaller than 15". Even that is too small sometimes. I miss the 17".

6. macrumors 6502a

DrJohnnyN

Love my 15" rMBP.

What's up with AAPL?

7. macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

double the processing speed, far more I/O, bigger HD options

8. macrumors 6502a

splashnader

My wallet is in ICU critical at the moment. I don't know how much more it can take.

9. SmokyD, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

macrumors regular

Hopefully it will scroll smoothly.

10. macrumors regular

ArztMac

There are 329 reasons for the AAPL drop...

11. macrumors 6502

I'm a little bummed not to see quad core CPU (or even a BTO option) for the 13" rMBP. That was the one thing that makes me pause when I think about buying one (though I'm perfectly happy with my 2011 13"MBA and quad core iMac).

12. macrumors 6502a

DrJohnnyN

Apple Inc.'s shares are down 1.8 percent to $622.34 in afternoon trading. The stock is down 12 percent from the all-time high of $705.07 touched on Sept. 21.
    :(

13. kis
    macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm sure I'll be attacked for this, but I'm gonna say it anyway:

Tiny harddrive, barely enough RAM (and not upgradable to the "enough" level), no dedicated graphics, only dual-core processors. It certainly isn't bad, but Apple just took the "pro" out of the 13" line. And come on - it's freaking expensive. If you upgrade the SSD to 512gb and get an i7 (still dual-core - WTF?) processor, it's only 99$ cheaper than the mid-level 15" rMBP, which packs a heck of a lot more power. What gives???

the 13" is NOT a pro device in my opinion. It's more like a beefed-up and slightly heavier Macbook Air. For that, it just costs way too much.

14. macrumors member

ArchAndroid

They should add this sticker next to the keyboard:

WARNING!

Intel HD Graphics Inside. Avoid scrolling, zooming, dragging windows and other graphically intensive activities.

15. macrumors 6502

In my opinion, the price isn't justified, especially considering the HD4000 graphics.

16. macrumors 6502a

If I was a shareholder then I'd be worried after seeing that keynote.

17. macrumors 6502

Rudy69

I'd say 30 reasons, the first 299 would have been fine, the extra 30 are just greedy

18. macrumors 6502

I can't wait for the time when I can afford a notebook with retina display ;)
    And... No 16GB RAM option, really??

It's a very nice device. But with small RAM, slow graphic and that price some happy customers have to pay a hefty early adopters fee. Enjoy!

19. kis
    macrumors 6502a

I like the iPad Mini (a lot - just sold my normal iPad 3rd gen because it was way too heavy for my taste) - but the price is a no-go for now. Plus I already pre-ordered a Surface anyway.

20. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Tell me, have you ever used a 30" ACD connected to a MacBook since the switch to MiniDisplay Port in 2008 ? Because I've not had any issues with running 2560x1600 pixels on integrated graphics before...

21. macrumors 6502a

verniesgarden

I thought the same thing till I bought a 13" and fell in love, it was a best of both worlds for me. but to each their own.

22. macrumors 68000

This. Intel HD integrated graphics = PASS.

For this price, I refuse to invest in another Intel chip as they try to figure out how to get their act together and make a GPU worth a damn. Oh yeah, and it is now driving a higher resolution screen which means it is taxed even more than regular leaving even LESS performance left on the table.

I will wait until official benchmarks are out but it isn't looking like too good of a deal as of right now.

23. macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

All of my shares sold a few months ago because I had a stop loss order for 550. I'm hoping it drops back down around there so I can scoop it back up!

24. macrumors 65816

vpro

Just ordered a maxed out one.

woo hoo
    just ordered one of these toys to play with for 14 days !!!

25. macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

To pricey for me.