Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
gross, they are copying Samsung for no effing reason

I don't care about a giant screen, that doesn't fit in my pocket

and has terrible battery life because it has a humongous LCD

make one smaller that lasts weeks without charging!

Wouldn't say that they're copying Samsung by having a bigger screen.. it's not like that is a far out idea or anything. That's like saying burger king copied mcdonalds by offering a double cheeseburger. I personally don't think the size of the new iPhone is too big, and if Apple does go that way then I'm sure it's not for a terrible reason. The Galaxy series is seemingly the iPhone's biggest competitor, and thus must do very well in sales, so it's not as if people DON'T want that bigger size.. what's the major difference between the phones? OS.
Here's a bigger thought, though. I doubt the iPhone 6 will be that much different compared to the 5S in respects to functionality, so it's not as if you would be losing anything really, aside from the opportunity to "upgrade" to a new cosmetic build of the same size.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Or - even if the 5.5" device does come out it likely won't be until months after the 4.7" version. They might announce both at WWDC, with the 4.7" selling a week later and the 5.5" version with the "coming in December" tag....

Deff don't think we'll see any iPhones at WWDC, but maybe the 5.5" will come later.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
I want a 4 inch iPhone 6 screen :(we shouldn't be forced in order to get the next iPhone...to have a huge screen.

Yeah, since I'm on a 5 right now, I'll probably just upgrade to a 64GB 5s, since the only killer feature for me right now is storage. I'm not wild about the bigger screen, but if Apple only rolls out the 4.7"+ sizes, eventually I guess I'll have to get one, but I really like the 4". Actually my wife and a couple co-workers have 4/4Ss and I'll get a hold of one of those every once in a while when they're asking me questions about them - today in fact - and I think I might even like that old 3.5" form factor better than the 4".

But really the thing I'll miss the most about the 4-5s designs is the flat sides. It can be really handy for using the flashlight or just propping up on it's side for glancing over at it when a notification pops up. No more of that with the rounded design. I'm sure it will be nice though.

----------

:confused: In 2007, 3.5" was considered huge.

This!!

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
If you look closely at those mockups you will see when we jumped in size from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 screen size the bezel was reduced.

This time, on the mockups anyway, we have an increase in screen size but no bezel reduction. I really do think it's time for Apple to consider using the screen real estate a little better. Shave some space from the top and raise the speaker a little. Maybe even look at a smaller diameter on the home button.

ASKendrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
United Kingdom
Argh, I'm really not sure on the screen size! :confused: I guess if they do go ahead with increasing the size I'd definitely have to hold one before I upgrade.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Ever hear of Touch ID?

Its this thing in that "outdated" home button.

The home button is not going away. There has to be a place for Touch ID.

Put it on the back, the side, or integrate it into the screen, or do iris or face recognition, or...

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Cant wait! Those who still want a tiny screen iPhone can stick with the 5s or 5C :)

That is if the 5s and 5c stay in the lineup. I think Apple should offer a smaller iPhone with similar styling to the iPhone 6, but with last year's specs to keep costs down, maybe re-branding it "iPhone mini" for women and some men who have issues with an iPhone approaching the size of a Galaxy.

Skinny jeans/small purses and this larger iPhone won't be a good combination.:eek:

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Too damn big

Too big, looks terrible and unwieldy for one handed use. I don't want a giant screen, that's what I have a tablet for. I sincerely hope they offer something smaller than 4.7" with updated internals alongside these two behemoths. 4.5" is as big as they should have gone, and that only if they can keep the rest of the phone reasonably small.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I want a 4 inch iPhone 6 screen :(we shouldn't be forced in order to get the next iPhone...to have a huge screen.

No one is forcing you to do anything, all Phones are going the way of the larger screen. Try finding a phone out there that is not bigger than a 3.5 or 4.0 screen.

I am looking forward to a 4.5 or 4.7 bc the 4.0 is just not enough real estate to read email for work, but not interesting in a 5.5 or larger screen.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Smaller is far more elegant - for realz...

I do all my phone calls via VOIP on free wifi through my perfect iPad Air with blue tooth headset, while getting mass work done. iPhone is cute and has it's place, purpose and what not, keep it the way it is, starting to look like those other android phones out there, people mainly play those rainbow blasting, color ball matching games any hoooo right? Like on the NYC metro, EVERYONE is playing the same color matching exploding balls tetris game?

I enjoy saving money.

Love you all! Spend my money too while you're at it hmm?!

xx oo
I do notice all the Android people playing that same lame game.

teejaysyke

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
gross, they are copying Samsung for no effing reason

I don't care about a giant screen, that doesn't fit in my pocket

and has terrible battery life because it has a humongous LCD

make one smaller that lasts weeks without charging!

Except for the fact that basically every cell phone manufacturer EXCEPT Apple is offering larger screens and has been for years.

They also don't have terrible battery life because with larger screens you can have larger batteries. Wow what a concept?

I can fit a Note 3 in my pocket just fine and that's 5.7".

You'll be fine. And if not :(

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Ok I cannot make sense of any of these iPhone 6 rumors what so ever, so I must applaud Apple for truly doubling down on secrecy.

First of Apple can fit a 720p 4.5" 326ppi display into the iPhone 5s body with today's technology (hence Tim Cook said Apple will not do a bigger iPhone until technology is ready). And yes in advance, Apple can keep the home button and symetrical bezel on top and bottom with a 4.5" screen size within iPhone 5s dimensions.

With that being said, why would the iPhone 6 get that much bigger for just a 4.7" display? Plus 750p display makes no sense at all! If you want to believe that than Mr Reliable Analyst also claims the 5.5 will have 1080p, what sense you make of that? Old apps will look even smaller? Also, bigger iPhone has to have same resolution, just like the iPads. Or the biggest thing Apple will introduce this year will be fragmentation.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit

You said the same thing about 3.5 inch. What, is 4" the magical perfect size for everyone now?

Anyway, it looks like Apple is intent on keeping that hideous huge bezel. If they ditched it, it wouldn't be that much bigger of a phone.

:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.