Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Endymion42

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Here
Thanks

Thanks for the detailed review of this keyboard. I've been searching the web to find a review to get an idea of what to expect and this article was just what I needed.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
It's a magnet. Describing what type or colour magnet is completely superfluous, and thus is simply sales pitch rather than objective review.

As per my original comment.

I disagree. Qualifying them as rare-earth magnets indicates to the reader that the connection between the separate bits is fairly strong, and probably won't come apart as you're typing.

Also this is a hands-on... i.e. a preview. They can't do a review until they get their hands on a proper retail model.

Last edited:

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
I thought it was a great write up / review and it did not seem like at Ad at all. Thanks MR!

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
I was genuinely interested. Until I saw their website. Very dated looking. Wood grain and brushed aluminium textures, iPad graphic as content frame! What year was this website made?

If you don't know how to build a modern looking website, how can I trust you know how to build advanced technology?

Hmm. Tastes differ. I think the web site is fine, and far less annoying than many "modern" bloated web sites. (Though I did find the background music fairly annoying.)

Your second paragraph suggests that you'd rather buy stuff from folks who are good at downloading and installing web site templates, rather than electronic, mechanical, and software engineers who might possibly be really good at making keyboards. I bet you can find sites like that with a bit of searching.

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
I have to ask myself why it would be such a big deal if some were. We come to this site and read/post on it at no cost. So what if there is the odd ad?

No one objects to ads on the Macrumors site. However it would be objectionable if an attempt were made to disguise an ad as an objective Macrumors product review. I'm not saying that was actually the case here, but that is what some people are claiming, and objecting to.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Guys, what's your deal - is this an advertisement or reporting?

It's called "native advertising". It's taking the Internet by storm.

----------

It's a magnet. Describing what type or colour magnet is completely superfluous, and thus is simply sales pitch rather than objective review.

To me, the term "rare earth" means that the magnet itself is small, but still provides ample magnetism. As opposed to the standard "black" magnets that provide little clamping pressure for their size. Like the different between painters tape and duct tape. They are both tape, but I would prefer one over the other based on the application.

There has definitely been a shift over the last several years from using the term "neodymium magnet" to using rare-earth. Possibly because rare-earth is easier to say and spell :D

OcelotWreak

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Canada
Thank you for posting the TextBlade review

I want to thank MacRumors for taking the time to post this detailed follow-up on an innovative piece of technology that might be of use to many users. Perhaps I’m just one of the “shut up and take my money” kinda people, but I’ve ordered a TextBlade because it solves a number of problems for me.

I’ve wanted a keyboard for taking notes on my iPhone - something that doesn’t eat up screen real estate, is easy on the fingers, is also very light and is quick to put to use. It looks very small and portable for carrying around, so now I will have the ability to just use my phone and a TextBlade keyboard to take business notes and respond to email without having to always pack and lug a bag with the usual iPad or laptop equipment, power bricks and cords, etc.

I think the price is reasonable considering the research that has gone into creating the product.

I’m looking forward to using a better designed portable keyboard that will work with any Bluetooth 4 compatible device. It’s disappointing to see so many people dismiss this product’s potential so quickly. In the immortal words of Gomer Pyle: “For shame, for shame, for shame!”

macmediausa

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
Just what I needed

I've been a loyal reader of MacRumors for years and years but never figured to sign up and make comments. Reading so many negative comments when they never even put their hands on one makes me roll my eyes... Obviously if they even bothered to read the article means that they have SOME interest in this. Even IF the writer was getting some kind of renumeration - so what??? At least it was informative (much more than their lousy website which doesn't give me so much detailed info).

Perhaps the $99 price is a bit out of range for minimum wage techies but I for one (and looks like quite a few others) have no problem plunking down $100 for something that might save time and easily make up the cost in a short time. The MAJORITY of people who think it's so expensive I reckon don't even have a $20 portable one anyway- so it's not only the price but the personal feasibility of having a separate keyboard.

I carry my iPhone everywhere and often have to respond to business emails. I really hate typing on the phone so this can really be a step forward on how I construct my responses (instead of short messages). Hell, if this works, I can probably pay for the keyboard in one or two complete emails. Other solutions are so bulky that I would never think of buying or pocketing one. Sure it may take a few seconds to assemble but my emails would take far longer the other way. Sure it doesn't have F keys, tab, etc but the iPhone doesn't have that on their keyboard either. PLUS, I'm anxious to try out the keyboard on my 3rd party NAV system in my car that has Android on it. Sometimes, I need to type some words and it's a royal pain using the touchscreen keyboard in the car.

I'm giving it a shot and so glad I saw the DETAILED review. If it doesn't suit me, theres always a refund (or credit card return!)

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
Anyone else suspicious of the deluge of new accounts just to defend this article and to be sycophantic towards this product?

The above post reads like a sales pitch. No thanks. :)

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
What makes you think it would have a trackpad? Especially since iOS devices don't even support a trackpad

Well, I wasn't just thinking about from iOS devices perspective alone. For Android or Windows or OS X Keyboards could definitely support trackpad.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
"None of these guys make accessories for mass appeal. They find a niche worth getting into and make their business around it hoping to get the attention of those people who will buy into it."

Come on now, living a dream only lasts for a short time and then the reality of paying the bills shows up.

These people want to make it big, nail down some real change while they produce the next killer product.

Personally I agree this is just a "niche" product and will only be memory in the records of the internet.

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
Genius Hacking

Anyone else suspicious of the deluge of new accounts just to defend this article and to be sycophantic towards this product?

The above post reads like a sales pitch. No thanks. :)
Yes, I cleverly rolled my MR start date all the way back to 2002 just to make sure that no one suspected I joined the forum solely to shill for this product.

MiniMoke

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009
Black River, Mauritius
Just some random thoughts on the KeyBlade:

First, it's not substantially more expensive than my Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard cover for the iPad Air, which is a very high quality keyboard with nice feeling keys though a bit cramped. I'd happily pay the price for the KeyBlade

Second, this is a completely new idea, a evolution of the standard keyboard, perhaps a revolution? Why not innovate concerning our typing devices? Find new ways to do the job.

One way might be dictation, but it is oftentimes impractical and not very accurate. But given time and in the correct environment it can replace traditionnal typing.

Then there's the KeyBlade - at last a complete rethink of the keyboard while retaining the basic feel and operation of the original thing.

I think it will work, it will sell, not for everyone, but for people who are curious and like to try out new ways for doing things.

I think I will order one soon and try it out. I'm open to learning it's ways and to give it the chance it deserves.

I don't understand the strong criticism from people who have not tried it. At least wait out the other hands on reviews that are bound to crop up soon.

By the way, the original article in MR sounded to me like a totally enthusiast piece, written by someone who has discovered something new and exciting. Didn't sour like an ad to me (and I have been registered at MR for some time and I'm not an employee of WayTools ;) )

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I was just in a seminar trying to type detailed notes on my iPhone with half the screen taken up by the dang keyboard. I immediately saw an excellent application for something as handy as this. Yes I could have brought a laptop to the talk but don't want to carry that thing around all the time and don't always need to take notes.

I also plan on investing heavily in learning the keyboard and using it to replace my wireless apple keyboard (assuming they allow pairing with multiple devices by shipping time). Will post reviews this summer.

Unbreak4

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
Waytools sent out an email invitation to early adopters to get a hands on yesterday and I was blown away. The staff was great but the textblade is amazing! There is definitely a learning curve as your fingers naturally try to type as they always have but once you start typing you pick it up rather quickly. The Mac Rumors review was well written and the editor should not have to defend themselves. Once the textblade comes out it will speak for itself... The cherry on top of the textblade event... We all got a free stand and charger.

slacker361

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
over promise under deliver

waybills seems to be in the long line of companies - well lets put it out there- in my opinion , abusing their paying customers. I order my blade back in January, when looking at the website it looked like they where "selling" in January... I will admit maybe i didn't understand their graphic.... Ill accept that.... so my delivery was to be in late march... I wasn't happy about that but ok ill wait three month... Oh also I spent the extra cash to have two day delivery.... as the time was getting closer for me to get my blade shipped to me I checked on the progress. WHAT my blade is going to take another month to be delivered....no email from the company, no notification what-so-ever. SO i send and email asking about what is going on..... No reply to the email..... So i send another email....Finally get a reply.... saying Oh we changed something........ then 7 paragraphs more about how great there product is....... Never addressing the fact ( which I asked about) that my two day delivery charge that cost extra will now be a four day delivery... Yup they changed it in a way that they are shipping on a Friday and then schedule to arrive on a monday or tuesday.... so much for the extra charge for two day delivery that will take 4 - 5 days....

Also let me point out that other companies, if one orders something that is on "back order" ones CC is not charged until the item is ready to ship... Not waytools. As soon as i placed the order my CC was charged....

This better be one freaking awesome keyboard. Rarely, but it has happened that I have had to contact the attorney general in the state of the business.... I hope i don't have to do this again...... businesses really need to develop the old style business model (STOP RIPPING OFF YOUR CUSTOMERS) of course all of the is just MHO

HSVBamaBob

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2014
Does it work if you are not a touch typist?

At 60 years old, I am a self-taught typist - keyboarding was not taught when I went to high school. When I purchased my first computer I was a hunt and peck typist.

I have improved greatly, but I am still what I would describe as a “sight typist.” (I usually look at the keyboard to type.) I envy all the younger folk who had keyboarding classes in high school and can type at 100+ WPM (I am lucky to reach 60 :) )

So, with that background, I am wondering if the Textblade would be usable by a person with my typing skills?

The TextBlade is a very attractive option as I find myself using my iPad Air more than my MacBook Pro; I am hoping that it will work for me and am looking for feedback from the forum (and, in particular, Juli since she has actually had hands-on experience with the TextBlade :cool:)

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

Last edited:

proffun

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2015
Waytools sent out an email invitation to early adopters to get a hands on yesterday and I was blown away. The staff was great but the textblade is amazing! There is definitely a learning curve as your fingers naturally try to type as they always have but once you start typing you pick it up rather quickly. The Mac Rumors review was well written and the editor should not have to defend themselves. Once the textblade comes out it will speak for itself... The cherry on top of the textblade event... We all got a free stand and charger.

Guys, the problem with this article is the damage in credibility to the Macrumors website. Now every time I read an article or a forum reply, I am second guessing whether or not it's real or fake/exaggerated. So many new accounts that were just created to post gushing compliments about the TextBlade (like this one that says: "I was blown away..the textblade is amazing!" Makes me realllllllly skeptical. If only the original article didn't sound like an advertisement, then this whole issue could have been avoided. I hope the MacRumors editors understand what made this problematic in the first place.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

It may be rare earth, but are they artisanal hard-crafted (or maybe hand-mined) rare earth magnets???

I think the ideas behind this keyboard are really ingenious, and think this will be a great device, given the size and relative ease of typing. Pretty sure it's only a matter of time before I own one.

The hands-on article didn't both me, I think maybe in the future you guys could put some sort of disclaimer describing the exact nature of the article and what relationship exists with the company. (of the sort you provided in the follow-up comments.)

Last edited:

WayTools

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2015
The magnificence of the internet is that it gives everyone a voice.

Even the quieter voices can out the truths that deserve to be heard.

With this freedom and power, also comes hazard. Anyone can claim anything, without any evidence. Even diametrically untrue things, carefully contrived for commercial interest.

They can do all of this anonymously, with an artificial persona, and no real identity at all. This new reality requires that we discern for ourselves what we consider to be credible.

A few personal observations based on logic -

A company that gives customers direct control over refunds at all times, does not suggest dishonesty.

A customer who is not pleased, cancels. They generally don't spend their time writing public diatribes misrepresenting dates and communications. (like this).

A poster who cites unrelated horror stories, and then knits them to their target, has a purpose in mind.

And, unfortunately, established players worried about a disruptive technology, really do pay operatives to discredit a promising change.

I think consumers would prefer to see effort go instead toward making great products.

My name is Mark Knighton, and I run WayTools.

slacker361

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010

With this freedom and power, also comes hazard. Anyone can claim anything, without any evidence. Even diametrically untrue things, carefully contrived for commercial interest.

They can do all of this anonymously, with an artificial persona, and no real identity at all. This new reality requires that we discern for ourselves what we consider to be credible.

A company that gives customers direct control over refunds at all times, does not suggest dishonesty.

A customer who is not pleased, cancels. They generally don't spend their time writing public diatribes misrepresenting dates and communications. (like this).

A poster who cites unrelated horror stories, and then knits them to their target, has a purpose in mind.

And, unfortunately, established players worried about a disruptive technology, really do pay operatives to discredit a promising change.

I think consumers would prefer to see effort go instead toward making great products.

Well Mark.... Thanks for calling out my honest post. In todays environment it seems that the business philosophy is to offer a product, and if that product is not delivered the business seems to take the attitude, screw them, if they don't like it give them a refund. Rather than looking at a fault within on why the method is substandard. As stated in the post you so politely pointed out, the change to the order was done with no notification to the people you SHOULD be striving to please, YOUR CUSTOMERS. First email when this matter came to my attention, was ignored by your facility a second was needed. Then a two sentence explanation on why it was delayed followed by many paragraphs on how great your product is - I truly hope that it is a great product, but this is not the point.

On a personal note I find it appalling that the owner operator, CEO, what ever your title is would get on a public forum and basically attack the customers. I believe a true professional running a company, would have addressed the concerns of their customer rather than lambasting them in a forum. But that is just me. In the world of the internet today, i would think a company would like to get good feed back from their customer base, unless one is just in for a quick hit and run on the profits...but then again that is just me. Good luck with your company.

henry2

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2010
I love the fact that you lay it out there in the post as it seams there is always someone out there to say it not for them or it a really crappy type of product .so I as I wait for them to catch up with demand .intill I have it in my hands and using everyday for a couple of weeks the I will give you personal views on the unit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.