Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new Apple TV officially became available for purchase today, with Apple selling the fourth-generation set-top box in retail stores around the world. We went hands-on with the Apple TV to give MacRumors readers who want to know more about the device a chance to get an overview of the hardware and the software.

Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos.

Apple's latest Apple TV marks a significant departure from the previous-generation Apple TV, with a thicker external design, a touch-based motion-enabled remote control that doubles as a gaming controller, and a more powerful A8 processor.

On the software side, it's running a new operating system called tvOS, which includes universal search features for finding television shows and movies across a wide variety of platforms, Siri integration for voice-based search, and a full App Store that's open to third-party developers. We're going to take a closer look at the App Store and the Siri/Search features in videos coming later this evening.

Earlier today, we shared a tidbits post on the new Apple TV, and our forum members have also been posting their first impressions and thoughts on the device, a thread that's well worth reading for those still trying to decide whether to make a purchase.

Apple is selling the new Apple TV in retail stores and from the online Apple Store. It's priced at $149 for 32GB of storage and $199 for 64GB of storage.

Article Link: Hands-On With the New Apple TV: A Closer Look at the Hardware and tvOS

Banyan Bruce

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Hit all the right spots in our household. Huge improvement over previous Apple TVs. Fast, responsive and actually easy to use. Love addition of Siri. Waiting for the apps to flow now.

bgraham

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2015
United Kingdom
What will make it great is good app support. It will take a lot to beat the extensive support of things like Chromecast, Roku and Amazon.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
By the way, my other Apple TV 4 is still preparing for shipment. :rolleyes:

Mine too - biggest Apple order mistake ever to pre-order with next day shipping and than not having it on launch day.

I will survive and nothing bad happened - just would have been nice to have it over the weekend. Guess has to wait for next weekend until I find time again to play with it.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Everyone has been waiting for the Apple TV to have an app store, (many have been waiting for half a decade for Plex app). I almost buy it but then I asked myself: do I really need this?

I already got used to airplay and taught this to everyone in my family, there is always an ipad or iphone available to airplay, with all the apps you can imagine. There is the games aspect, but 'lite' tv gaming is already available on so many devices already, including my old Roku 3.

It seems to me Apple TV 4 offers too little too late. The only thing I would find useful is if it served as a central homekit with always on Siri so I could say "hey siri turn off lights" without touching a remote, but it doesn't even have that.

Last edited:

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
I almost got motion sick just by looking at the video and not even full screen. Poor girlfriends which have to endure this.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Siri aside, a dedicated Mac mini still seems like the better option. Is there a web browser for ATV4? Chrome app?

Love the use of motion and parallax.

Reactions: George Dawes

chasonstone

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2010
Kentucky
I'm likely not jumping on this, I have an Apple TV already and not looking to spend 150 bucks to replace it. But I'm super stoked on the App Store aspect, I've always thought it needed it. So I'll just lovingly look forward to that being apart of it when I do eventually upgrade.

Reactions: fullauto

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Would love to purchase this if Touch ID was featured.

The outdated way of entering passwords, instead of using Touch ID on the remote itself (as my hope for Apple TV 4 was) is a mistake. Perhaps the Apple Remote app will update to use Touch ID from iPhone, but they had the chance to put it on the actual remote. They added 3 extra buttons, but of course one of them couldn't be Touch ID. o_O

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
I don't know. Siri doesn't work at all for me. Granted I didn't sit with it for long. Just had a baby Monday. Well my wife did but that doesn't exclude me from parental duties. But I tried show me good movies. Show me movies with will Ferrell. It moves the colored waves around when I speak and hold the button but after I let go it just moves back and forth like its processing but nothing happens. Blarg. I'll mess with it later. Searched forums but didn't see anyone else complaining. Guess it's me doing something wrong.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

The outdated way of entering passwords, instead of using Touch ID on the remote itself (as my hope for Apple TV 4 was) is a mistake. Perhaps the Apple Remote app will update to use Touch ID from iPhone, but they had the chance to put it on the actual remote. They added 3 extra buttons, but of course one of them couldn't be Touch ID. o_O

Adding passwords is pure Hell with the remote. Even worse if you use the voice! Like having a parrot squawking at you while your trying to remember what you entered.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

The lack of support for Bluetooth keyboards (or Apple's Remote app) is simply mind boggling! Did no one at Apple flick their way through a setup of their Netflix/Hulu/HBO accounts? Boxing mine back up for a return. I'll "try again" when Apple "tries again".

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Played with the new Apple TV in the store today, and I can't wait to buy one. The Remote app on iOS should alleviate typing issues, which also existed on the last Apple TV. One thing I will say is the demo unit ( not sure whether it was resetting like normal or not) did a soft restart. I'm not sure if it was a crash, I was on the home screen, but I can see that the software isn't absolutely perfect. There is fine tuning needed as expected.

Is the iOS Remote app going to work at some point? I'm new to Apple TV and it was miserable typing in all my usernames and passwords for each app using the onscreen keyboard.
Update should come soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Is the iOS Remote app going to work at some point? I'm new to Apple TV and it was miserable typing in all my usernames and passwords for each app using the onscreen keyboard.
When they do update it, assuming they will, would be great to have Touch ID from iPhone or iPad but more interesting to see is if they'll update it for Apple TV 2/3 also.

The lack of support for Bluetooth keyboards (or Apple's Remote app) is simply mind boggling! Did no one at Apple flick their way through a setup of their Netflix/Hulu/HBO accounts? Boxing mine back up for a return. I'll "try again" when Apple "tries again".
Somebody forgot to code that in for keyboards? Geez. Amateur hour.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Anyone see how to play a slideshow with background music as you could previously? That is the only thing I don't see so far.

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I don't know. Siri doesn't work at all for me. Granted I didn't sit with it for long. Just had a baby Monday. Well my wife did but that doesn't exclude me from parental duties. But I tried show me good movies. Show me movies with will Ferrell. It moves the colored waves around when I speak and hold the button but after I let go it just moves back and forth like its processing but nothing happens. Blarg. I'll mess with it later. Searched forums but didn't see anyone else complaining. Guess it's me doing something wrong.
I was having the same issue, and a restart seems to have done the trick!

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Hit all the right spots in our household. Huge improvement over previous Apple TVs. Fast, responsive and actually easy to use. Love addition of Siri. Waiting for the apps to flow now.

Legit Question: How long have you had it in your possession?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.