Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D A

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Last night after rebooting my Mac it will no longer boot properly. After logging in I can see he desktop picture the menu bar and all of my startup items, but I do not see the clock or Spotlight. The Dock doesn't show up either. Finder does start but i can't do anything with it.

I have access to the force quit menu where I can force quit Finder which will restart. Several other system shortcuts also work, such as reboot, logout and shutdown, but nothing happens when I click on any of the options. The screen and keyboard brightness keys also work but the volume keys do not.

I've tried booting into safe mode but the same thing happens there. I also tried resetting PRAM and the SMC without any help. With the recovery partition I've repaired permissions and the disk but neither has helped.

Is there anything else I can do or is my only option a reinstall?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
First reboot holding down the buttons command key+r to boot into the recovery mode (as Seen in this video) and use it's disk Utility to repair the disk. Also you can boot into Single-User mode and run th command
Code:
fsck -fy
and run that command in single-user mode and let it run. If still finds error, run it again. If it still fails then replaCe you hard drive. (note: to get out of single-ser mode just ype
Code:
reboot

I say this because it sounds as if the hard drive is failing like an old Hollywood death screen. You might have a dying hard drive.

One more thing: If you have a Recalled iMac then use that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.