Hanging at Shut Down

Discussion in 'macOS' started by imacintel, May 19, 2006.

1. imacintel macrumors 68000

When I shut down my iMac, it spend around 3 to 5 minutes at the spiining flower with bluee screen. I am just about to try repairing permissions, I have resetted the PRAM, which I still don;t know what it is.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's struggling with the pre-shutdown fsck. Usually an indication that there's something wrong with either the file system (software) or the hard drive (hardware). Try either running fsck or boot from the installer DVD and run Disk Utility and repair the drive.

3. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

So thats why there is so much clicking at shut down:eek: :rolleyes:

4. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Do I absolutely have to boot from the install DVD? Or can I use the Finder>>Applications>>>Utilitys>>>Disk Utility?

5. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Here Is a FSCK and Repair Permissions update:

Our own UNIX reporter and disk fixer, FSCK at my iMac has the story.

Thanks, MR.

Today I am here to report that the volume "Macintosh HD appears to be ok."

Thanks FSCk,

Now lets pass it on to DISK UTILITY, at the iMac:

While many permissions were repaired, the problem of this beauty not shutting down for around 5 minutes was not fixed.

So what is wrong?

6. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Pleeeeeeeeessee...whats worng, if you did not understand the post i recently made, it is saying:

FSCK said its ok
    Disk Utility repair permissions. -repaired ALOT of permissions but no go.
    SMART verified

:confused:

EDIT:

The" Repair Disk is Greyed out

*my head is about explode*

7. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Repair disk is always greyed out, you have to boot from the disk to do that. I can't even verify mine. :). I'm placing bets on how many days AFTER warranty expires that it will last. I'm thinking 2.

8. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

I must of accidentally bought apple care because yesterday it said I had bought the Machine on March 12, I have 298 days left:)

9. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

LOL. Thanks for letting me know(you know what always cheers me up? laughing at other's misfortune)Bender@ Futurama

On a more serious matter:

My iMacs HD was verfied and repaired, but it said it did not need to repair. Yet the 2-3 minutes persists.:mad: :( :confused:

Is this an indicator of a Hardware problem?

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't think it's a hardware issue and I'd recommend sleeping instead of shutting down anyway. However, if you repair permissions again, is it still fixing a lot of them? :)

Also, do you shut down most nights, instead of sleep? If you sleep the machine (since Tiger), it'll automatically catch up on maintenance tasks that should have been completed overnight, but this isn't the case if you shut the machine down. If this is the case, maybe try forcing the maintenance tasks. :)

Having said all that, I wouldn't worry too much about this problem. I don't think it's a sign of hardware failure (although I could be wrong, often am). I'd get into the habit of sleeping instead of shutting down though. :)

11. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Sometimes I sleep it, sometimes I just leave it(I really shouldn't:eek: ), and sometime I just shut down. But I do a fair amount of sleeping and the same with shutting down.:)