Hannibal on the Apple-to-Intel transition

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Sun Baked, Jun 8, 2005.

1. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I think this is a pretty interesting article.

The important thing for me is that it points to the possibility that my first MacTel purchase should probably be a new PowerBook (to replace my aging Titanium PBG4) -- not a PowerMac which we probably won't see until 2007 (or later, IMO).

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I agree - the PB line is hurting for better/faster/lower power CPUs, so I'd be very interested in advances there. Not that it's directly related to Intel, but I'd like to see some state-of-the-art-in-2003 displays thrown in as well.

I say this as a happy 12" PB owner. I love my PB, but I want a desktop replacement (e.g., the 17") once it beefs up a bit.

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

By far one of the most level-headed approach to the transition timeline issue I have read. People are getting too excited about this and think that Apple is just going to dump P4s in everything. Just because the developer machine does that doesn't mean that future Macs have to.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Dual-core minis and iBooks? Now that will be interesting to see. Will the iBook actually out-perform the iMac? It will be an interesting year, that's for sure.

5. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Great article. I'm not surprised that Apple chose Intel over AMD, since Intel has the upper hand with its mobile Centrino tecnology. AMD's mobiles are still powerhogs.

You guys wait and see, the Apple notebook line is going to rock next year. And I can't wait, because I'll be looking forward to buying my next machine sometime next year and I'm very confident it will be an Apple. :)

6. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Well thought out, if a little on the negative(see realistic :) ) side.
    Sometimes Apple is bitten in the backside for their secretive nature.
    Give the consumers an indication of what and when. Then at least those waiting for a 67Ghz PB on being told that they'd have to stick it out with their G3 iBook for 2 more years, may then decide they have to take the plunge and buy a current PB. Its the not knowing whats happening thats confusing everyone. Just give us an idea whats youre really going to do Apple, you aint the government ffs.

7. Sun Baked thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hannibal has always had the most level headed articles about architecture out there.

He is well respected enough at IBM and Apple that they tend to quote him, thank him, and steal his graphics. ;)

He may be speculating, but these are basically the options open to Apple in the time frame being looked at.