Happy 15th Birthday to the Internet!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by UKnjb, Aug 5, 2006.

1. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

6 August 1991 - The Internet was born! So on this day, 15 years ago, Tim Berners-Lee introduced the World-Wide Web Project. There is an interesting article on the BBC's website, here, with a semi-animated timeline that illustrates the notable developments over the last 15 years.

BBCwww.jpg

For instance it took 5 months from its birth for the 1st extra-European web server to go on-line and approximately 1 year later, there were still only 26 web servers!

At the 1st August 2006, there were 92,615,362 web sites up and running.

2. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Are you sure about that? Last I remembered, Google indexes around 8 billion pages...heck, a Google search for cheese gives you 110,000,000 results alone...

3. UKnjb thread starter macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Me, I'm never sure about anything; just quoting the BBC (maybe a mistake). I'm sure you're correct about the Google results, but that will only give you pages, not so? And there can be multiple pages on each web site that will crank up the count.

4. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Yeah, but even if Google listed 2 pages for each website, that would still mean that almost half of all the websites on the internet are about cheese ;)

5. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

The Internet and the World-Wide Web are two different things. The Internet as we know it is about 23 years old. :)

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It could be that the 96 million figure is based on servers, which would make sense, since most hosting companies host many websites from one server (unless it's a fairly large site).

Happy Birthday!

jW

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'm almost positive that the 93 million figure is based on registered domains, nothing to do with google hitcounts.

8. UKnjb thread starter macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

The difference between the Internet and the WWW is well taken - my sloppiness. :eek:

For the year 2000:- "Researchers at the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) claim that the Web now contains some 7 million unique sites, a 50 percent increase compared to 1999's 4.7 million."

A further study by OCLC indicated that there were 8.4 million unique sites in 2001, a rate of growth that had declined to 18% from the previous year's 50%.

9. DMPDX macrumors 6502

Exactly. Nasa and of course Al Gore had a big part in creating it.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Not hardly -- although in his mind he thinks he did play a key role.

BTW, the origins of the Internet go farther back to the late 60's or early 70's if memory serves.

11. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

But (correct me if I'm wrong) - Google indexes pages, maybe by the 'millions' websites they mean actual domain-names.

For example, Amazon would be the website, that counts towards that whatever-million websites, but pages within Amazon (electronics, for example) would be classed as a page - that Google would index towards its count.

So back to your cheese :)p ) we could have hundreds of thousands of cooking websites, but maybe all would have 4/5 Cheese-related recipies.

Oooh I don't know! I know naaaaaating!

12. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

You don't have to go as far as cooking websites:
    [​IMG]

13. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's arguable. While this article doesn't dispute that the internet was developed in a number of places, it does go on:

15. Queso macrumors G4

Ah, good old British ingenuity. Well done Sir Tim, and a lesser well done to whoever came up with that computer he wrote it on :)

As for Google's index, cisco.com alone has tens of thousands of pages, let alone the amount of pages microsoft.com must have, so I can believe the individual number of sites is correct.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How in the hell does one get such a precise number?

17. angelneo macrumors 68000

From the registry of domain names? I couldn't really remember the name.

If it is based on domain names, it does make sense, as xxx.blogspot.com and yyy.blogspot.com comes from the same domain name...

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So I thought most American geeks consider the first DARPANet transmission in 1969 to be the birth of the internet. Outside of the US, is that event de-emphasized in comparison to other events?

19. jrichie macrumors regular

My ex girlfriend was at CERN in Geneva just after he invented WWW! When I was dating her 1993 onwards I couldn't wait to get to her physics lab and mess about with mosaic and the web.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've always considered ARPANet to be the beginnings of the internet, but not the internet itself. I believe that the 1983 date has to do with the first commercial usage, where there was more to the internet than just ARPANet.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well when were the first tubes connected? I think that would tell us when the internet was officially invented.

I bet the tubes never got clogged in the early days of the internets. Not too many users sending internets to their friends.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

At 50 bps or 110 bps, I wouldn't say that things were clogged, but they were still slow.

23. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Me thinks you missed the joke. Or you just didn't find it funny. Although I didn't think it was funny "ha-ha" ('cause that speech has been referenced so much it's just a dead horse joke now) I still thought it was funny "cute."

Lethal

25. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

what I really don't understand about google's numbers is that if you keep clicking next, google will show you a message that it has showed you the most relevant sites, and the rest are similar.

View attachment 54446

Then if you click, show me the results without the omitted sites, it still limits you to about 1000 sites and stops. I have to say, with the ommited sites shown, they are all duplicates of what was shown before (896 pages) so the ommited results were showing me 104 sites on additional pages, and all of those are sites listed already! But they are subpages or seperate articles on a site already mentioned. :confused:

View attachment 54447

So when they say 92,900,000 results for cheese.... do they mean on the top 1000 sites that they have given us, that cheese is mentioned that many times? :confused: