Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
w00t! oh how i loved 4.6...i still use 7.2 in companionship w/ firefox. i dont accept cookies in netscape so i can go to sites im logged into in firefox. plus ff doesn't seem to work w/ bonus.com...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'll say Happy b-day to the enhanced browser that it was and has become. It's good to have a choice. Mosaic was a pain.

It's interesting to see how poorly Firefox renders the page, though. :(

Attachments

• NetscapeCNNSite.jpg
    NetscapeCNNSite.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 84

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Wow, and I just won this in an auction the other day :) You know the chicks be sweatin' this hat :cool:

Happy b-day Netscape!

Attachments

• Netscape_cap.jpg
    Netscape_cap.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 52

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
Netscape? Ew...

yuck.jpg

Netscape is the worst peice of junk EVER. I am happy for its demise. It is easily the WORST browser that ever appeared on a PC.

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
Netscape was all I used for years. It didnt matter what system I was using....System 7, OS 8, Windows 3.1, windows 9x...it was all Netscape. Then...well, all I will say is Netscape 6 came along, and that was it for me.....until Netscape 7 brought me back. Safari is my homeboy on the mac, but on windows there is no replacement for Netscape (that isn't out of beta yet)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Anybody remember the 2.0 version of Netscape? Boy, that was way back. Even better, anybody remember Netscape 3.0 Gold? That had to be the most crash-happy piece of software I have used in my entire life, and if they hadn't released 4.0 when they did, I'd probably have given up on the web till somebody showed me IE5 on the Mac.

Can't say I'll be sad to see 4.x die an ignominious death, though--as a web designer, it's slightly functional but otherwise completely broken implementation of CSS is almost as maddening as the stupid problems with IE.

Happy Birthday, N!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
MacRumors in NS 1.0N

The forums wouldn't load at all, looks like they probably want HTTP 1.1.

mr-in-ns1.gif

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
jet3004 said:
Netscape is the worst peice of junk EVER. I am happy for its demise. It is easily the WORST browser that ever appeared on a PC.

I got no problem with Netscape. Works fine for me.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Netscape 2.0 was great. Stable like no browser knows today. Of course, the code it had to chew through was a bit simpler...

Netscape 3, for those lucky enough to have missed it, was something else. I don't think I ever got a full pageload in 3, it would either screw it up or crash (or both). That software could crash like none other.

4 was ... the beginning of the end. That's when Netscape started being bloatware. I used it as long as I had to, but IE eventually just won me over. How sad is that.

paul

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
I used 2 and 3 Gold, and then switched to communicator. IE won out due to the fact that Netscape had to load up when you closed out of it. I got sick of that. That and I didn't mind IE 3 and 4, they at least looked better than the IE of today.

Mike

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
I always liked and preferred Netscape on my 68K Mac. It just seemed faster than IE. That said, when I bought the PC in the meantime, the only browser that was credibile at the time was IE on that platform. Coming back to the Mac with my PowerBook G4, I had to start with IE in OS X, but now Safari and Firefox are tops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.