happy birthday Belgium

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by redeye be, Jul 21, 2005.

1. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Today, the 21st, is our 4th of july. Belgium is celebrating its 175th birthday.
    In 1830 we separated ourselves from the Netherlands. 150 years later we divided our country into 2 federal entities. So we're celebrating 25 years of federalism as well. Just another excuse for lighting fireworks and drinking to much. Make that watching and drinking to much, don't want to lose any body parts. If you happen to be in the neighbourhood ( :rolleyes: ) you shouldn't miss Brussels tonight.

Being a good citizen i couldn't let this go unnoticed ;).

More info can be found here, although it seems their server is having a lot of troubles handling the load.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Hmm... if it wasn't the London MR tonight, I'd head for Belgo's for moules, frites and biere to celebrate with you...

3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I just arrive from Belgium ;) , it was amazing, had a nice time there, sorry that I will miss today but have to work. Congratulations Belgium.

4. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Hmm... Belgos :D

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Congratulations...

Just remember to drink a lot before you shoot up any fireworks!

...or was it the other way around...? :confused: :p

6. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

I just returned from my parents, great moules, excellent frites. We drank wine though ;).
    Have fun at the MR meeting and raise at least one glass to Belgium.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

redeye_be I wish you well with your 175th Birthday Celebration as Belgium. Also the 25th Birthday Celebration of Federalism. May you have a safe and happy celebration. Will there be fireworks?

8. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I'd say YES! :) , just like a 07/04 but smaller ;) lot smaller!
    That's something I found curious, moules + frites :eek: , sorry but I can't stand both, together... anyway, have fun!

9. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

There will be fireworks, a big pyrotechnic spectacle by Van Cleemput. One of or the best fireworkers in blgm. I've never seen a 7/4 firework but being a little chauvinistic i'd say ours will be better :D. Only 3 more hours to go until liftoff.
    Frites/chips/fries are our one of our nation's prides. Absolutely delicious with steak or moules. Or just plain simple in a 'puntzak' with mayonaise. Maybe you have just been eating them in the wrong restaurant. What else would you eat moules with :confused:.
    I will thx, my girlfriend is feeling kind of sick right now (not because of the moules, no). So i guess i'll make the trip to the centre solo :(. Now i just have to decide wether to mingle in the crowd or go sit on a friends roof to watch the fire work.

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

At this side of Germany, absolutely not with "Freedom fries" ;) ...
    I haven't been in the wrong restaurant, just a different one, a lot different! :)

That's Europe, 1 hour away from home and I'm already eating different.

I can imagine how proud you're of your fireworks ... and your fries and waffles and pancakes and chocolates ...

11. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

So what are you eating them with?

Fireworks were ok, although they started 45 minutes early because it started to rain, no july 21st without a "drash national". It was great fun though, all those people singing, dancing and drinking on the streets of brussels. Oh, and I managed to take my girlfriend with me, her fever dropped.
    And yes fries, waffles and chocolat are something we're all proud of :D. Sauerkraute is ok on some winter days though ;).

12. Leeloo the 5th macrumors member

Leeloo the 5th

Whew, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I wasn't in Brussels (although I live there) but in Ciney which is very famous for its beer. The fireworks were great and without a drip of rain, hehe! I watched the show in Brussels on the tv for a couple of minutes, and when I saw all that rain pouring down...
    And I didn't have moules frites either, but another typical dish: waterzooi! Yumm!!