Happy Birthday Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jaykk, Mar 24, 2002.

1. jaykk macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X is 1 year old now.

Happy Birthday !!!

Here is an interesting artcile on Mac OS X on its birth day from Washington post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6202-2002Mar23.html

"That didn't mean most people would want to install Mac OS X when it shipped on March 24, 2001. But from that day on, the clock on this transition was running -- as Apple CEO Steve Jobs has repeatedly emphasized with a favorite analogy.

The first major update, Mac OS X 10.1, followed in September -- six months after the launch, or 6 o'clock in Jobs's imagery. In January, at 9 o'clock, Apple made OS X (pronounced "10," not "X") the default operating system on new Macs.

That means it's now 12 o'clock. Time's up! "

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I say we throw a kegger for OS X :D... Who else is with me on this one???

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I'm not totally convence about OSX yet. Looks fine but that is not what I'm looking fro. I'm not looking a linux shell or funky icons, and as far as I know is crashing like os9.

The trick with OS 9 is taing care of extensions and avoid fragmentation. If you can't figure that out with OS 9, OSX won't do miracles.

In my case I'm (and I do not mean OSX is useless) I have reach the point of mutual understanding with OS 9 that I was looking for for years (and that M$ users will never find without a PHD in computer science).

I may swithch to OS X eventually but my OS 9 if is not broken...

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Yeah, I am not fully into X yet myself. I still miss 9s speedy mode. X may be easier to do some things, but 9 is a whole lot quicker.

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

OS X is a rock solid operating system that has all the looks of an Apple OS with the stability of the Unix kernal. Linux looks like dos compared to OS X.

As long as you are not trying to force it to run on unsupported hardware OS X will not crash. I have been using it for a year now (has it been that long already???) and have yet to have it crash on me. At least, that wasn't hardware related, and both times that was becuase I had a memory stick go bad, or wasn't the right type. You can force quit and relauch every application, as well as the finder within OS X and not have to restart your system.

When I installed my new hard drive into my TiBook (60GB IBM Travelstar) I ONLY installed OS X. I have been tempted a few times to install a slim version of 9 onto it, just so that I can put all the games and such on it, but I am holding off on that. When the laptop returns from Apple (going out for a screen issue repair that is either the inverter board, screen or logic board) I MIGHT put a minimal OS 9 onto it. That way, I can install my OS 9 games that have patches to run native under OS X. So far, that is the only thing that I see missing, and I am sure that will change soon enough. Besides, if I want to play games, I will fire up the game peecee, which I might have to do while my favorite computer is out getting fixed. Not sure how I will make it through the week or so that Apple is going to have it... Might have to stock up on brews on Monday :D

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

re: kegger

hey man....I'll bring over a case of heini's for u just as long as we can grill up some steaks and stuff at your place...he he he :p

Happy Birthday OS X!!!

now I wonder what we're going to see during the awards tonite? hmmm....

7. Tommy! macrumors regular

How much u wanna bet no one's gonna wish a happy birthday to Windows XP? :)

8. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

How about a funeral?

Ensign

9. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Last day of having OS9 on my machine.

Tomorrow (25th) I will no longer have OS9 or any OS9 Apps on my mac, the only apps that are still os9 that I may need to use are:

Facespan

and thats it!

Ensign

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I wish I could dump Classic, but I'm waiting on Dreamweaver, and the "official" Photoshop release.

Happy B-Day OS X! I was hoping to see you progress to 10.2...maybe in a couple of months...

Hey eye, you see that Apple is going to be in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks at the NSBA conference?

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I agree with Ensign....How about a funeral?

who's gonna care? XP wasn't all that groundbreaking that software had to be rewritten to accomodate it like X...he he he...

I'm gonna have to see about going to the NSBA Conference...my step-dad usually goes to all of that stuff and he might be able to get me a spot to get in...:p

12. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

did apple mention mac os x's birthday at mwt at all?

13. namu macrumors newbie

I found that the biggest change, when switching to Mac OS X, was that i needed to do several things at the same time instead of just one, so that i'd end up doing as much as in OS 9.
    In OS 9: you run one application and it feels quick.
    In OS X: you run many applications, they all feel slower, but you're achieving as much, if not more, than in OS 9.

You just have to keep feeding them applications, with clicks and keystrokes :D

Also, there is what i called the "dread of the Click" syndrome: in OS 9, holding the mouse button down hangs everything (except for iTunes playing mp3s...). I found myself using complicated keyboard shortcuts instead of a quick click on a menu, to "keep the background apps running" :eek: Anybody else had this ?