Happy birthday Mr. Anderson!

Discussion in 'Community' started by bousozoku, Sep 12, 2004.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I know you're not as old as I am, so it can still be a happy birthday, even if you live in Indiana! ;)

Hope you enjoy it all! :)

2. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Hey!

Happy birthday Mr. A. I was just in Warsaw area this weekend for one of the last lake visits of the season.... :(

3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Happy birthday Mr. Anderson!

I should tell you that I've been a little thrown off by your new avatar ... I've been reading Macrumors for quite a while and I got used to your spaceship one. :)

Hope you have a good birthday! What do you have planned?

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Man, I'm late on this one, but Happy Birthday nonetheless.

5. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    I hope you have a happy birthday as well. even if it is monday?! :D

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Thanks all! Not much really planned, having just moved to a new area, all my friends are a little far away. So no big bash this time.

I will be making a potato canon, though, I think. Good for making noise, scaring the Geese off the lake and yard. I can shoot it from my deck and probably make it to the middle of the lake :D

D

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

lol at first i thought you meant like some sort of dish with different layers/types of potatoes or something...sounds fun. i made one of those once and broke a window of a house across teh street... :eek: :D . happy birthday, youre an awesome mod

9. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Happy BDay Mr.A! Hope it's a good one and you get to do something fun!

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I made one many years ago (6 or 7 or so, I think) and I know a few things that will improve its range. So it should be fun, I might have to go put targets out on the lake (although aiming those things is difficult at best).

Now, if that surprise G5 would show up at my door today it would be perfect.....

D

11. iGav macrumors G3

You've got a lake as well??? :eek:

Anyway happy birthday fella!! ;)

G

P.S. how do you make a potato cannon??

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'll send you some pics, or post them after I build the cannon.

Its relatively easy, you could probably find the directions on line - but the basic requirements are pvc tubing (the white plastic tubing used in plumming). You need a 3" long tube (cannon barrel) and a 6" short tube as the firing chamber. A 6" to 3" reducer piece (connects the 6 and 3 inch pieces) , some of that PVC glue, its purple, an end cap with a screw on cap (I'm going to look into options for this, I don't like the screw cap) and a piezo-electric ignitor (the little gas grill starter as the trigger). connect all the tubing and drill a hole in the side for the trigger.

That's pretty much it. Get some hair spray, a bag of taters and something to ram the potatoes in the nozzle. I also make a potato cutting that sizes the spuds before putting them in the gun (less messy) and that's just a 6" long piece of the 3" tubing.

Load the potato all the way down the barrel, spray in your Aqua Net for a few seconds, close the end of the tube, aim and press the little red button :D

Just make sure no one is down range - I'm pretty sure if you hit someone with a potato you could seriously hurt them or even kill them. That's what's nice about having a deck over looking a 21 acre private lake, not many people around. :D

D

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Happy B-Day Mr. Anderson. I hope that this day will meet all your expectations. Though you are now living in Indiana and away from friends, I'm confident that you will make many great new friends. Still you have your lovely new bride to celebrate this special day with. Any Mac purchases planned? I also look forward to pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

happy birthday, man. hope life brings you many more.

paul

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

<chant>
    spud gun. spud gun. spud gun. spud gun. Spud Gun. Spud Gun. Spud Gun. SPUD GUN! SPUD GUN! SPUD GUN! SPUD GUN! SPUD GUN!!!
    </chant>

:D

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

A big Happy Birthday from the traffic clogged DC area.

Thought it might make you home sick to come back. :D

Happy Birthday from

ChipNovaMac

17. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

And the next member to be banned because of taunting a moderator on his birthday is.......

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

So spud gun update:

Its built, works great and the trees around the lake echo the boom of the shot, it friggin awesome. All the neighbors love it and want me to come over later and shoot it from their deck.

And to think the local grocery store was having a buy one get one free on Idaho Spuds today ! :D

No pics tonight, too busy, obviously. I'll post them tomorrow, maybe even a video at night so you can see the flame coming out the end of the cannon.

As for specs, I was a little off above (specifically for iGav) its a 2" cannon barrel and a 4" main chamber. Also, instead of the gas grill peizo-electric ignitor, I bought one of the those grill lighters with butane which has a small peizo-electric trigger (the zippo lighter with the long attachment to get close to the paper/charcoal/etc). Its a lot cheaper and its a trigger instead of a button :D So, I'll have pics, time to go have a couple drinks and shoot up the lake.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

D

19. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
  20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Here are some pics, first the gun (its just shy of 7' tall) on the deck overlooking part of the lake. And a detail of the trigger.

Still waiting for the geese to show up.....:D

D

Attached Files:

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm really impressed Mr. Anderson, didn't realize that you live on a lake shore. The picture makes the area look very impressive. That great that you have agreeable neighbors with the gun, I feel sorry the the poor geese and other birds. :D

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Just remember the guy that shot by the puppy recently. :D