Happy Birthday to me?!

Discussion in 'Community' started by puckhead193, Jul 1, 2005.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

So next Saturday is my birthday, (July 9th, i'm turning 20, adios teen years) and i wanted to do something with my friends. The question is, what to do. I'm not 21 so bars are out, and i was *thinking* of asking my CIT's (counselors in training), but their 15 and 16, but i don't have to ask them. I was thinking of asking around 6 of my friends to celebrate, but i don't know what to do, and they all don't know each other. i was thinking of going in to the city but i don't know what to do. Any suggestions?
    I was thinking of going to serendipity 3 and then going to dangerfields.
    Any one here of "Cosi", i heard that was a cool place to eat.
    edit- the city i mean New York City
    Also one of my friends who i plan on inviting, is having his friends come up/down for the weekend, what should i do about that... when he is around other people, he acts different and acts like an "donkey"

Also what should i ask my parents for :p i was thinking of a new digital camera cause mine is sooo old. I was thinking of:
    Konica Minolta A200 or A2 (whats the difference)
    Canon powershot pro 1
    canon powershot G6
    canon powershot S2 IS
    Nikon CoolPix 8800

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Congrats on leaving and surviving the teen years. I would go with a Pentax Optio S5i. Great camera. Tons of features, small, powerful, 5 MP, and all for $299.

3. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

Thanks, it seems like a good camera, but i want something with advance features....

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Happy early birthday! :)

Are you talking about this Cosi? If so, I've been to them elsewhere, and they're fun, and cozy ;) inside, and the food is pretty good, but they're nothing très très special. I have not been to the one in the City, though.

BTW, what are counselors in training, just out of curiosity? Counselors for what?

5. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

yea, i heard that their food was good and a fun restaurant.

A counselor in training is for camp, i'm a camp counsler for 1st graders :cool:
    Their basically a counselor but just don't get paid that much, plus i have authority so i can say to do this and that......but i like saying "Do this, its part of your training... ;)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sweet! What kind of camp? I counseled at a camp for chronically ill kids here in Florida earlier this summer. I had soooo much fun. :) But I couldn't do it all summer, because I have clinic responsibilities and classes and stuff. :( I had 1st and 2nd graders too.... :D

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I have the G6 and it is superb....highly recommended (and not just by me either)....and whatever you end up doing, have a great time.....oh yeah!

8. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

Its just a normal day camp, swimming, soccer, baseball etc. The kids are so much fun.... a handful at times but their fun and they look up to you.
    what sorta games did you play with your campers, their starting to get sick of "tag" "dry dry wet"/duck duck goose.... :confused:

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Indoors, my kids really liked card games for some reason. And loved doing card tricks. Our camp was pretty structured though, so there weren't a lot of free activities that you could do without props. LOL though... you could try some variant on tag... we do a game where you walk around pretending to be one of three things (random things...like could be a movie camera, or an airplane, or whatever). You start at the first thing, and if you run into someone else who is also that thing, you play rock/paper/scissors with them, and if you win, then you become the next thing up on the list, and if you lose, you drop down to the previous thing. So the goal is to get to the top thing and stay there....Like it could be riding a horse, then driving a car, then flying an airplane.

Ummm...oooh, and there's the game where you call out something other people might have in common with you, and then you have to touch someone who has that. It might work with little kids if you do the calling out.

10. aplasticspork macrumors regular

i would personally recommend a pentax optio 750z, although it was a bit on the expensive side when i got it last november. 5x optical zoom, 7 mp (makes for images around 40x31 in.). it has fully automatic and fully manual settings. the only thing it's lacking is the ability to change the lens :p other than that it has all the features of an SLR. although i have heard good things about the G6...just haven't been able to try it personally.

Edit: only problem is that you'll need a rather large memory card. i have a 1 GB card and it fits around 275 ish pictures on the highest quality jpeg.

--andrzej

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Pre-Happy Birthday!

I understand the dilemma. My birthday is at the end of the month. Wanted to do something special this year for all that I had gone through since the first of the year. Thought about going to a party weekend in Columbus or Raleigh. In the end I have decided to try and make SF my B-Day present to myself (Made even sweeter that my sister is giving me some of here air miles, and because of the late timing, I will be "forced" to fly first class. I felt bad because of the added air miles for this option, but she said "Happy Birthday!" :) )

I do plan on my birthday night to take and go out to one of the better restaurants in SF (I have found that splurging on a great meal is a treat that is sometimes hard to describe to others). But for me that weekend is a celebration of my birthday, but also a celebration of a new start in my life.

In the end I suggest that you try and find something to do that will make you happy. If it is surrounding yourself with friends, then do it. If you like travel, then take a short trip that weekend. I know realize that my birthday means more to me than others, and my happiness is the way I celebrate it is what is important. And for me I can be happy celebrating it alone.

Each day, each birthday is a gift - live it to the fullest!

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

On the camera front - my vote goes to the Canon S2IS. Great features, great price for the features.

13. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Ask for a new Mac, and explain that a new digital camera is vital to getting one. Plus, since your turning 20, a Dual 2.0 PowerMac (20, 2.0, get it?) is in order.

14. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Birthday activity: Go paint-balling, carting or laser-shooting. All great fun and it's cool to get a competition going. Don't go carting before you eat though. You'll smell of gas.

Camp activity: One of the more popular games (next to soccer) when i myself was in a youth movement was 'potteke stamp' ('potty kick' or something like that :D). It's actually a variation af tag.
    Considering the size of the group you assign 2 or more 'taggers'. You need a ball and a place for the tagged to sit. A few meters from this place the ball needs to be placed on the ground.
    The taggers run around (preferably) on a big terrain with lots of hiding places and sneak-routes. Once tagged the tagged needs to go to place where he should be when tagged :rolleyes:. The taggers themselves can not come closer than 1 meter to the ball.
    People that are not tagged can, if not tagged before they get there, kick away the ball. This sets everyone free. As long as the ball isn't in place, the taggers are not allowed to tag anyone. This makes for great attack/defence plans.
    And then there is 'Chinees telefoontje' (Chinese telephone), 'tafelspel' - invented by the girls at the time - complicated ! (table game), 'muurke sjot' (wall kick) and it's more painful brother without a name. ;)

15. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
    I have to think on what to do. Anyone have any other suggestions on what to do in NYC?

16. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I'm turning 25 soon, should I get a Dual 2.5? ;)

At the IBM update rate, I for sure would be getting the Dual 3.0 in 5 years! :)

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

One place to visit would be the SOHO Apple Store. That is on my list the next time that I visit NYC. Another would be Ground Zero, to see what improvements that have been made. Well you stll have a week to decide.

[​IMG]

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You gave me an idea for my upcoming trip to SF. Hit the Downtown Apple Store!

Thanks
    :)

19. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

That's an intersting thing, maybe a new iMac will come out with me (i wish)
    I like the animated picture, thanks

20. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

anyone have any ideas on what to do around time square besides walking around... i'm not a big fan of crowds

21. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

22. mac-er macrumors 65816

Rent a boat and go around the island with a picnic.

BTW, I'm curious how your friend acts like a donkey.

23. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

he acts like an @$$

24. mac-er macrumors 65816

Then tell him he's not coming.

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife and I enjoyed visiting the stores around Times Square. There are a lot of interesting shops. ;) If you are interested in a play there are a lot of nice theaters.