Happy Birthday! :-)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BuzWeaver, Mar 13, 2007.

1. BuzWeaver macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

The Web smiley turns 25:

Author Vladimir Nabokov said in a 1969 New York Times interview that "there should exist a special typographical sign for a smile--some sort of concave mark, a supine round bracket."

Now, nearly four decades later, there is just such a typographical symbol-- :), or for the minimalists, and it'd be tough to find a tech-savvy person who hasn't leaned on it. There's also a special typographical symbol for a frown-- :-( -- and one for a cool dude in sunglasses -- B-) -- and one for a wink -- ;-). There's even a typographical sign for wearing a baseball cap-- d=D.

These are emoticons (or emotive icons), the arrangements of letters and symbols that have been inserted into e-mails, message board posts, and instant messages since the fledgling days of the Internet. "Fledgling days," in this case, refers not to the mid-'90s when people were beginning to learn what AOL was, but to the early '80s, when accessing the Internet was largely limited to research universities and defense contractors.

http://news.com.com/The+Web+smileys+motto+Grin+and+bear+it/2100-1025_3-6166439.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hey OP, did you edit your own post/ thread title to display that emoticon? It wasn't there at first. :p

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I may or may not be able to confirm that a sneaky cowboy did it.

***walks off, whistling***

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

*squints* Scandalous.

I appreciate it nonetheless. And thanks for posting the article, OP. I didn't realize "the emoticon" had such a history. :p

5. BuzWeaver thread starter macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

Hmmm.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Fantastic! Happy Birthday, smiley.

^(o_~)^

kekeke