Happy Chinese New Year!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by KKKL, Jan 28, 2006.

1. KKKL macrumors 6502

Happy Chinese New Year!!!

Attached Files:

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Happy Chinese New Year. :)

Year of the Dog. Dang. :(

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I guess if we want to be politically correct, shouldn't it be Happy Lunar New Year? Non-Chinese Asians also observe this holiday. :p

Can't wait... gonna have at least 15 relatives over today. Sigh. Gotta go clean the house though. :eek:

4. KKKL thread starter macrumors 6502

Chinese New Year = Lunar New Year,
    I don't know what Non-Chinese Asians do you mean, but maybe they have Chinese blood lineage or they are Overseas Chinese.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I mean Vietnamese, some Koreans, and I'm sure some Japanese celebrate the Lunar New Year. I don't know enough about Asian cultures... possibly others out there as well.

6. angelneo macrumors 68000

Happy Chinese New Year to you all as well, I just spent the whole day visiting my friends and relatives. Well, the chinese has a tradition of giving "red packets" to younger, unmarried children and money are put in those packets. To some of the kids, chinese new year is when they can get lots of pocket money.

7. KKKL thread starter macrumors 6502

Long long time before, there was a period, large number of Chinese move to Korea, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore... nearly the whole Asia and settled down there. They followed the Lunar New Year custom and past it down from generation to generation...

8. KKKL thread starter macrumors 6502

:mad: :(
    I lost a red packet today, the red packet was givin by my grandma. I put it in the coin pocket of my jeans and i couldnot find it anymore when got home.:( :mad:

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Gong xi fa cai! Happy Chinese New Year!

What is the year? 4500+?

10. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Happy New Years, I was just about to make a topic. I noticed Google had the dog thingy, which I thought was cool.

[] <--- Lucky envelopes for MR :D

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you don't think it's chinese new year, go start your own thread. :p

It's chinese new year for the next 10 days or so if you're hardcore, and even if you're not, you'll celebrate for at least 3 days.

That's in Mandarin. In Cantonese, it's "Gong Hei Fat Choi" (don't know how to spell it....I'm doing it phonetically). :)

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Close enough. I was thinking that I had seen Gong Ji Fat Choy years ago before the Mandarin transliteration was changed by China. It doesn't really matter.

Oh, and by the way, the year is 4704, if anyone else wants to know.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ok, I'll try again:

Cantonese: Göng Hei Fat Choi (hope that diaeresis/dieresis shows up on your screens)
    Mandarin: Göng Shi/Xi Fa Chai

I don't know Mandarin though (trying to teach it to myself.....yes, it's hard), so I don't know if I did it right, but I always thought that "romanizing" chinese was done very very poorly.

I mean, my last name is "Kwan," but whether you use Mandarin or Cantonese, it's pronounced "Gwan" or "Guan," similar to how the country/territory Guam is pronounced, but with an "n". It's all done wrong, and I wish people would make it right.

14. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

15. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Having a great Chinese New Year

Dressed "Eevee" in a traditional Chinese outfit. She's two years old and our friends just loved her running around yelling "Happy New Years!"

Had great Chinese food.

Only problem is that I don't have enough $ to give out in red envelopes.

For those who received $, how much did you get? Just curious!;)

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I understand what you're saying. The thing that makes Japanese easier to pronounce than other Asian languages is that they have one decent transliteration (Hepburn) that looks the way it sounds and the one the government created, which is what you would expect--not quite right.

Of course, Chinese has so many intonations for a single vowel, it's much more difficult. Add in the various dialects besides Mandarin and Cantonese and it's more difficult than anything else on the planet.

Funny, listening to a t.v. commercial for Asian cars is amazing because the people mess up the names so horribly. Isuzu is so simple and yet people can't say e-sue-zoo and some dude the other night was saying Hahnd eye for Hyundai when it should be Hun day at least.

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

LOL, go easy. In todays PC world I found that post informative.

18. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I always love checking out the festivities in China Town in Melbourne, there's always lots going on. I love learning about the celebrations of of countries and cultures.

Happy New Year! :)

19. KKKL thread starter macrumors 6502

20. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Hey.

No circumventing the profanity filter!

21. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I do think it's "Chinese New Year" seeing as I am Chinese. But there are other folks out there who aren't aware that other cultures also celebrate the Lunar New Year.
    Not as much in past years but that's fine by me. At my age, I'm just stoked to get anything! :D I'm in college... and I got $90 from aunts/bf's mom, my mom gave me at least double that! She spoils me rotten.
    Ai-yah! Flashbacks from Chinese school. Er. I dunno how to type it. :eek: The darn four intonations for the 'tzoo-ing.' Oh man. I almost always got those wrong on my tests.

All that aside. My parents and I just came back from dinner out in a Chinese restaurant. It was beyond packed (and it's a lousy place, too)! I am so glad we didn't bother going near the yummier places-- the wait in other places was probably over an hour just to be seated. :eek:

22. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

My wife went to the farmers market today and said someone kept asking her about what she was going to do.. She simply stated that she was Japanese and didn't observe it. She said she felt rude walking away from the person but they kept going on and on :p

Ed

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Didn't i say that already? :D

I can handle a little Chinese but it's like Mantonkien. :D

It's sad that you would go to a lousy place. I hope that you don't have food poisoning. I would have gone to a Chinese restaurant but, in the Orlando area, they're all lousy. :eek:

We're a practical people. One new year a year is enough, right? :D

24. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Haha. It's not that bad! Actually, well, it's the new year, my father is leaving for Taiwan tomorrow, and the restaurant we wanted to try out was closed! :confused: <-- That's the first time I've seen a Chinese-owned business closed on a holiday. :eek: So we just went to another place nearby. Sigh.

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Good, then. I'd hate to see someone sick for eating.

I'm reminded of going to a Japanese restaurant run by Chinese in Philadelphia's China Town. It was highly recommended by co-workers. I ordered unaju--roasted eel on rice. It was burnt when they delivered it to my table. I complained. They told me that it was just the skin. I told them that it was the burnt skin and I flaked some of it onto the rice...ewwww. They replaced it immediately. That was a lousy restaurant. Now, if the people at a Japanese restaurant don't speak Japanese, I leave. :D