Happy Consumer Frenzy Month!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Toe, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Hurry! Buy everything!

Get in a frenzy!

Listen to the ads! Spend more!

Don't let down your friends with cheap gifts!

It's time to buy, BUY, BUY, BUY, BUY!!!

If you spend enough, you'll be able to fill every void in your life. It's just a few dollars away!

And who cares about the catestrophic consequences on the environemnt? It won't be completely destroyed for at least a few more years!

2. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

What's with the anti-buying threads lately?

I went out and bought some things today, but nothing too crazy. I bought myself pajamas and socks (not the iPod variety :p), and I bought a few gifts for friends and family -- a wallet, shoes, and a desk chair.

A lot of things people buy aren't to fill any "void" -- see above. Yeah, some people might overdo it when things are on sale, but so what? One of the nice things about it is that people have the freedom to spend their money how they see fit. In most cases, I don't think it's anyone's role to say "don't buy" or pass judgment on people. You'll probably see a lot of people buying a lot of things around this time of year, and that shouldn't be a surprise -- gift-giving is part of the holiday season.

Edit: Yeah, isn't this basically the same thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=97969&page=1&pp=25

4. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

That's the tricky part... Sure, it's your right to spend your money. But when spending that money results in destroying my environment, then don't I get a say in it? Americans think they have the right to suck all the resources out of the planet and replace them with CO2 and trash. Much of the rest of the world disagrees.

It's one thing to buy some socks and a chair, but the marketing I'm seeing all around me wants me to get into a buying frenzy and spend till I can't no more. People get drastically into debt trying to satisfy this frenzy month. People buy absolute crap just because they have to get a gift for someone who already has everything they need. Macy's is playing an ad saying "If it isn't new, it's out of style."

I'm just trying to counteract a little bit of this marketing blitz. They're spending billions of dollars to get us into this frenzy. Maybe we should think about it a bit more....

5. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Buy more! More! Must...have...more...consumer...goods!

Just kidding. I'd rather sleep like I do every year instead of freezing my nuts off at 6:00 AM outside of some Best Buy.

[edit] Apple Thanksgiving sale eMacs < $800 and $1,200 G5 iMacs are mighty tempting! :D

6. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

LOL I just finished wiping the blood of my credit card, from the abuse it got today. :p of course I'm almost done with my Christmas shopping.

7. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

I like buying stuff.. I hate crowds at stores so I basicly shop online.. But whats the point of working so hard if you cant buy nice stuff.. Would I be sitting here at work right now If I really wanted to wipe my butt with pine cones and eat grubs... hell no.. Give me mass produces electronics and some soft toilet paper :-D

I do find it halerious that most americans are 1000's of dollars in debt... I never buy anything I cant pay for in cash :-/

8. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Just because you say we shouldn't buy stuff, I'll list what my family and I have bought lately.

Nintendo DS
    Super mario 64 DS
    2 Pairs of boxer shorts (for my stepdad)
    Some spackle and a paint brush
    A nightstand
    Glass for the top of my nightstand
    An alarm clock (for my stepdad)
    A television (for stepsister)
    DVD/VCR combo (for stepsister)
    Halo 2
    A new xbox live headset
    A jacket
    And I'm planning on getting some jeans next weekend

I can only imagine how much gas I've wasted (in a gas guzzling SUV, might I add) while going to buy all of this! Oh well. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

9. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

And when you've had your fill of these things, they go right in the dumpster, right?

What do we need resources for in the future anyway, right? That's, like, so far away. Let's not think about it and maybe it'll go away.

10. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I think I'll put mine in the trash can.

11. dotnina macrumors 6502a

A thought: I'd reckon threads like this belong in the political forum. :cool:

12. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

hey, i work retail. i make a commision at that....... so yeah, buy! :D especially new digital camera's, you know you want to. ;)

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

either that or the wasteland ;).

I can truly say I bought nothing.... How sad. Didn't know apple was having a sale till it was over too :(.

Oh well, It's probably best that I didn't blow a bunch of cash ;).

scem0

14. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

I think Community Discussion can handle it.

A little controversy never hurt anyone.

:cool: :D ;)

15. belair macrumors 6502

belair

I understand that some people don't want to come off their shopping habit and if they can afford it its their right to do with their money what they want.
    The thing is, the initial post had a link to adbusters site. Even if they sometimes have extreme point of views and a lot of their members are rebellious teenagers and young activists, the fact that they exist is very healthy.
    Buying stuff doesn't do you any good. Their is a thing like "buyers high" and we have all experienced it at some point (When I bought my G5). Just think twice before you buy something next time "Do I really need this?". That's the only sane thing to do. Buying nothing is not a solution either. Our whole economy is based on consumption, we can not change that over night, we can just adapt our buying habits to our real needs.

16. belair macrumors 6502

belair

Ahha got the Hint!

Just another ipod ad mock up.
    I guess toe is not such a mac fan after all, maybe he is from the other side, maybe he likes windows. :eek:
    Just kidding. I actually like the shopping card thing.

Attached Files:

17. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Buy Nothing Day is actually one of the worst things you can do. Let's face it, if people hoard their money, it sends the economy to ****. You just NEED to spend some money to get the world turning. By buying stuff you are not telling the companies that they can get away with anything, but you're better off spending money then keeping it for nothing.

I took a basic 200 level economics class in college, so I'm not an expert by any means, but I do know that the worst thing you can do with your money is leave it in a bank account. I'm sick of buy nothing day. Why not just call it "Kill the world economy" day? or how about this "put us in a depression!!" day?

BEN

18. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Ow Ow OW!!!! My head hurts so! I think I am going to explode now... :eek: :( GAHH!!!

Hehehe... I love being awake at midnight.... ;)

Now for something constructive:
    Think twice before you buy. Just make sure that you know what you are doing! Heck, Hanukkah, some people I know get $20 and are told to donate it to a charity. My family does things differently, but I swear, these people running around buying like crazy... relax people! Material objects are not that important that you need to cut off the car in front of you and nearly cause an accident on the freeway!

19. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

Because right now, every day is "Completely Destroy the Environment Day."

How well will the global economy be doing when all the key species go extinct, whole biosystems are compromised, and we can't find any clean water to drink or air to breathe? Will it be good for the economy because there will be a new market for bottled air?

How about when the ice caps melt and all the major coastal cities go underwater? How will it help the economy when a couple billion people are displaced?

This destruction is actually happening, you know. It's not like this is theoretical. Protecting the economy at the expense of the environment is like trying to build the hull of a boat higher and higher to keep it from sinking from a hole in the bottom.

20. sgarringer macrumors regular

I purchased a flightstick for myself to make playing BF 1942 more enjoyable. Although I must admit that I don’t as much "high" knowing that I ruined the environment. Next time, I think I'll skip the middle man, go strait to Antarctica and take a dump on a penguin.

Come on. If we don’t buy the stuff, they'll find other people more willing to. The products are already produced. Wouldn't it be more environmentally sound to work on getting better practices in the manufacturing?!?

That’s like saying don't buy dogs from this person because he beats them. They've already been beaten. Not buying the dogs wont make any difference.

/EDIT Fixed spelling error

21. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

It's not realistic for the average person to simply stop being a consumer. It IS practical to weigh your purchases carefully, both for the environment and for your own financial health.
    It is pretty easy to get sucked into a buying frenzy, particularly at this time of year.
    As a rule of thumb, we go shopping with a plan to buy specific things. If we see something we want that we did not plan to buy ahead of time, we will usually leave it and walk around the store/mall for a bit to think it over, or go home and wait a few days to decide if we really need/want it, especially if we don't really have the cash available for the item. If it's just a great price that's too low to pass on, or you are worried that the item will no longer be available, buy it, take it home, and sit on your hands for a couple of days. Most stores will let you return an unopened product for a refund with no problem at all.
    There are lots of ways to fight the high you get from spending more than you should. Catalog/on-line ordering is another effective method of fighting off the impulse to buy things you weren't planning on.

Equally important is what you are doing with the items you are replacing. When I buy clothes, furniture, or a new appliance or electronic device, I try to find a home for the old one, either by passing it down to someone I know or by donating it to a local charity. Unless the item simply cannot be made operable, there is always someone out there who will be happy to have what you no longer want. Heck, eBay is another resource for you to use to find a home for things that someone else might want, and also helps defray the replacement cost you incurred.

22. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Don't crap on it, just pour oil all over his home or melt all of the ice up there. What do you think plastic is made of?
    Completely retarded. It's not as if there is an endless line of humans waiting to buy flightsticks, or any other products. There are a finite number of people in the world willing to buy a certain product, and if they don't buy it, it doesn't get sold. End of story. Just because something is produced doesn't mean someone is going to buy it--whether consumers don't buy it because the product sucks or because they are following their conscience doesn't matter, it still isn't purchased.
    No, it won't take away the current problem, but it does two things. First, it shows the producer that you aren't willing to buy this product, for whatever reason, thus influencing future manufacturings. Additionally, if you give that vendor your money, you are supporting an industry which (in your example) beats dogs.

People who think their money doesn't count are like people who think their vote doesn't count: wrong.

23. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

It won't make any difference to those dogs, but you're giving that guy money to raise and beat more dogs. Saying "they're already produced" ignores supply and demand. As people buy (demand) stuff, manufacturers replace the purchased product with new goods (supply). There is a direct, measurable correlation between how much you buy and how much resources get used.

And again, I'm not saying "buy no stuff ever." Only try to moderate this insane consumption frenzy that marketers try to get us into this time of year. It does little to improve our lives (if not the opposite) and it has drastic, real consequences on our environment.