Happy Earth Day!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by amateurmacfreak, Apr 21, 2006.

1. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Okay, so, I'm 30min. CST premature, but.... HAPPY EARTH DAY!
    I'm kind of an environmental person. :eek: :)
    What are people's plans, resolutions, etc.?? :)
    I'm going to go to a local park that holds a big event and probs will make some promises to myself about recycling more, being more Earth-conscious, etc...... :)

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i'm going to eat corn-fed beef, drive a car that gets 15mpg, use electricity that comes from coal and nuclear power, use a computer full of arsenic, lead, and other poisons, wear a polyester shirt with artificial dyes, buy gas over an aquifer recharge zone, throw away batteries, glass and plastic, and other fun stuff.

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

My girlfriend and I are getting deep tissue massages. Maybe we'll go to a park that was closed for toxic waste. I'm not kidding. It seems okay, though. Maybe we should go to another park. :p

4. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Oh noes. Thanks for squashing my fun, liberal hopes and dreams! :p
    Thanks for bringing me back to my cynicalism. :mad: :( :eek:

;)

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I just got a car that gets better gas mileage than my old one. Does that count?

6. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Yeah, yeah, I guess. :p
    What's the mileage?

Not meaning to try to act all elite or anything, but my family has a Prius that I love.... :) It will be my car when I turn 16.

7. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Go Google! I was wonderin' what significant day it was today.

In my Environmental Bio class today, we watched a documentary on Peak Oil, "The End Of Suburbia". Scary stuff.

8. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

I was going to post that.
    I LOVE THAT!!!
    Best Google Earth Day icon ever. :cool:

9. CompUser Guest

Well, today my dad is fertilizing the lawn with chemicals, my mom is driving to boston in a car that gets 16mph highway, 14mpg city, and we are using oil to heat the house today because it is cold because we left the door open when the mattress movers came.

If didn't see this thread I would have never known it was earth day. The google thing is really cool though.

10. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I really wish I were doing something earthy.

Instead I'm likely to look out my window for most of the day, thinking about doing something earthy.

I will walk the dog in the woods, though. And every day is Earth Day to her. :D

11. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Happy Birthday and Earth day!!!

Now if some major governments were going to pressure for some major laws.. like all cars must get atleast 40MPG!!!

13. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Our government is ********, they don't recognize the immense impact they can have in the fight for a greener planet.

14. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Should I dump oil in the ground so that it can go back to where it came from?:D

Honestly I didn't know it was earthday. I probably will not do anything different. I was planning to build a workbench for the garage with my new dual bevel compound miter saw. So I guess I'll kill some trees today. At least I don't use 500+ sheets a day for business reports when I can just look at the computer screen (maybe 5-6 pieces of paper a week). Unlike most businesses.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Maybe for Earth Day I'll hold my breath to prevent any more Carbon Dioxide from entering the atmosphere.

Here goes... *takes deep breath*

16. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

My old one got 17 city/23 highway and this one I think gets about 22 city/30 highway. Not really a prius or anything, but better.

17. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    plan: take in as many computer that are headed to the dump as a can. Fix/recycle them.

What I did today:

I mowed the lawn and pulled about 250 weeds :D

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I have to say my familys Cars are well Crap for MPG, i have an a Big Van(for cross country trips) a truck(my dads for hunting needs the back) Ford SUV(we leased it then bought it and it terribel for gas but nice inside) and my grandmoms car, Accord , which we drive when ever we can(when it just my family no friends)

In the next few years are plan is to size back down to 2 cars but with my bro learning to drive it will be

My grandmom-gets a new car
    My bro-gets her old car(when we pay her a little for it)
    My mom-trades the Van and SUV for a smaller, better gas milage car
    My dad-stays with his truck as he uses truck part and does not drive far(his work is close to home)

The van is currently up for sale so if you live in NJ and want a nice Van PM me:rolleyes: It has TV in there!(a real TV!) Nice to site in there and play xBox and veiw moives with its built in VSH:cool:

19. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

20. CompUser Guest

Make sure you don't hit the manatees with that new boat of yours ;) :cool:

My Dads SUV: 14/16mpg (['03 LR Discovery, it uses an engine designed by buick many many many many years ago, its a pushrod v8)

My Dads Car: 24/28mpg This is his new commuter car, it was my grandma's but she cannot drive anymore. He drives 150 miles round trip to work each day, and using the discovery wasn't the most efficient way of getting to work.

My Mom's SUV: 16/18mpg

My sisters SUV: 18 pretty much always

21. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Our Prius: Generally 50-55MPG

Our other car: Around 30 generally I think