Happy Father's Day :)

Discussion in 'Community' started by trebblekicked, Jun 15, 2003.

1. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL, USA
    To All the Macrumors Dads:

have fun today. we've always treated father's day as the one day where dad actually got what he wanted.

We're taking our dad out on the boat and making what he wanted for dinner, and my sis is coming in from Chicago to join in the fesivities. Simple, but it's what he asked for...

Anyone have any special plans?
  2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    i wish i could be home, golfing with my dad... but alas, i can't.

hopefully in a couple weeks that will be possible

the kids' relationship with my dad is a strange one... and it's getting tougher to deal with as time goes by and we get close to the end....

well that sure was gloomy eh? hah

anyhoo, happy father's day all!
  3. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Happy Father's day to all the dad's on Mac Forums. My own father died in 1975. I plan to call my father-in-law today, he lives in Maryland now.

Today our Senior Pastor had a intersting factoid. "According to an AT&T survey that the all time peak long distance phone call occur on Mother's day. The all time peak for collect long distance phone calls occur on Father's Day. Not sure what to make of this." :p
  4. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Heh, on this Father's day, I get to se my grandma for the first time in a year or so..[​IMG]
  5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    My father died just before easter this year, so its been a bit strange today.

My in-laws arrived this evening, so my daughter gets to be spoiled rotten.

I spent today assessing degree project dissertations and eating Turkish Delight:D

Happy Fathers Day.
  6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    How many of you taught your father to use a computer? How many of you were taught by your father?

I taught my father the basics: word processing, e-mail, web browsing, which is all he wants to know. I'd love to teach him how to use a spreadsheet, but he likes that trusty old calculator! He works in a computer-related field, but he didn't grow up with computers like most of us did, so it doesn't come as naturally.

It's sorta strange when the lessons go from child to parent instead of the other way around.
  7. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Happy Father's day guys. I spent the day relative house hopping, starting with my grandfather's and ending at my father-in-law's.

I got breakfast in bed from my kids. And some golf gear. :D This afternoon they gave me a headache, but that is their usual present. ;)
  8. brogers macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2002
    Greensboro, NC
    In March of '02, my dad bought me a new iMac Flat Panel Superdrive. He bought himself one too and made me promise to teach him how to use it. I have using Macs since the early 90's so I agreed to help. We live three hours apart, so I drove there and set his up...e-mail and everything. I have been his personal tech support....I love it.

Now he is very good at it. Makes his own movies, DVD's, slide shows. He loves it and is actively trying to get some of the other retired men in the neighborhood to trash their PC's and buy macs. So far he has converted at least one.

I gave my old iMac DV SE to my three boys (7,5 & 2) and are teaching them the in's and out's too. We are now truely a Mac family.

Touching isn't it?
  9. evil macrumors 6502

May 2, 2003
    chicago ex-toronto
    i called my dad and my grandpa.-i live 550 miles away

happy fathers day to all the dads here.
  10. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    had a super father's day...i've been impressing upon my daughter( 2 1/2) that father's day is perhaps THE most important holiday of the year..even at her young age she knows me well enough to find the humor in that. oh well.

being a father is the most amazing experience...just puttering around the garden while my daughter pulled the waterhose from birdbath to birdbath...nothing quite like it. and the deep laughter that comes from watching your kid do something cute seems to purge the soul of worry and haste. today she managed to fill her wellies up with water and with each step a spray of water would shoot out the top of her boots...doesn't sound like much but once you're there you'll know what i mean.

thought a lot about my father and wondered if we could of ever seen eye to eye...we always had a strained relationship and his death left so much unresolved. all these years later i still regret he didn't try harder to be a better father. acceptance doesn't really answer the questions does it?

wherever he is i hope he gets another chance...and maybe this time he'll experience the joys of fatherhood. it is beyond description.
  11. pEZ macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    Madison, Wisconsin
    This has become quite a dark thread, but in the long run I think that's a good thing. It truly makes me realize how lucky I am, in so many more ways than just having a cool dad.

Happy Father's Day everyone.