Happy Holidays!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Dec 23, 2006.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm posting it here because apparently the term has become rather controversial. Of course, to those like me who are part Jewish, part Christian (Protestant, to be a bit more precise) it's just easier. Especially with New Years coming. I'd say Merry Christmas, because anyone who knows what the holiday is really about knows it's supposed to be inclusive, but like everything else lately, has been bastardized by capitalism and/or religious fundamentalism. So I'll just say Happy Holidays. Though feel free to say Merry Christmas. Because freedom is being able to say one, but having to hear the other.

(wondering if my thread with be ruined by the time I get back...)

2. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Happy Xmas from Ireland

Dave :)

3. Queso macrumors G4

I've taken to saying Happy Holidays too. I know a lot of Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus and Jews, and it's easier to wish them the best with.

It's everyone's holiday, so why not include all?

Saying that, to all the Christians on the board, Merry Christmas!! :)

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

6. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I said somewhere that I normally just say Happy Holidays to people I dont know instead of Merry Christmas and someone got onto me about that. I think it is a matter of preference.
    This way I wont offend anyone that I may come across.

So as to that here is a message for all of you:

Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy belated Hanukkah and everthing else in between! :D

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I say Happy/Merry Christmas. If it offends anybody, then that's their problem.

Less 'political correctness', more politeness.

8. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

[​IMG]

Kwanzaabot [holds up book called "What The Hell Is Kwanzaa" and sighs]: "I've been givin' these out for 647 years!" :p

And yeah, what the rest of you have been saying is kinda my point. None of these are meant to be offensive. Any of them should be acceptable greetings. Because that's all they are. Greetings.

Both sides have kinda turned it into a crusade (no pun intended) against the other side, but given the spirit (again, no pun intended) of the holidays season, guessing they're kinda missing the point.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

agus lá Fhéile Stiofáin

12. stillwater macrumors regular

My birthday is on Boxing Day. I'm pushing 50 and I still have no idea what this holiday is for or where or by whom it is celebrated.

Any way, Merry Christmas, happy Boxing Day! :)

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's Boxing Day and a holiday in the UK. It's Boxing Day since traditionally that was the day when those in service were given their Christmas boxes (with money/clothes etc) for the next year by their masters. Obviously the poor serfs had to work Christmas Day after all ;)

14. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

What are you, a pagan? Er, no offense either. Some of my best friends are pagans. No, really. :p

Actually, since the solstice itself merely happens, it's not really religious. Of course, you're saying Happy, so you must be referring to the Solstice Celebration. Which is religious. Which makes you a heathen. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

How 'bout "Happy Allthedays!"? :D

Happy Hannukah, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, A Good Kwanzaa To You, and may the next 360-some-odd be good as well.

I'm up for the spirit of the Christmas season in the traditional sense, but I'd just as soon that everybody could enjoy that basic spirit and attitude all the time. :)

'Rat