Happy Memorial Day (U.S.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stelliform, May 31, 2004.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I didn't wait. BBQed last night. Today it is too hot in Los Angeles to consume anything but iced tea.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I hope that everyone will remember the moment of silence at 3pm for those that have given the ultimate sacrifice. We owe them more than we can ever pay.

4. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I give it 60 mintues before it is moved to the Political Forum. And I promise not to be the cause :D

5. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Very true.

6. theimacguy macrumors regular

theimacguy

7. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

RIBS! I am jealous!

Our Festivities include...

My wife bought a flag for the front of our house, so I put that up yesterday, and I am making burgers, hot dogs, and potato salad. Maybe I will invite the neighbors. :)

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Barbecued yesterday. Its raining today. Went with the scouts and the American legion to visit grave sites.

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That's nice. I miss having neighbors to hang out with. Part of the problem with living in an apartment complex. One doesn't want to get to cozy with the people they live next door to or underneath...

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Ate some shrimp scallops and steak last night. Playing (well, played already :p) in a parade and working 5-9:15 tonight. Some day off :rolleyes:

11. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Went to a parade, then it started raining really hard, that killed the party we were going to, now I'm stuck at home with my dad vacuuming, and I have to do homework, I want to play warcraft:(

12. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I work tonight, but I don't care. I'm just happy to be working. And it means I get a day off some other time, so that's cool. It's too hot today, here in the Mojave desert, to do anything anyway except sit in an ice bath.

13. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    happy memorial day one and all.

did the cooking out/swimming/climbing wall activities on saturday...today is a wonderful day to stay inside in the a/c.

be safe and send a good thought to those who've had to do the dirty work.

14. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I was wrong. I guess there aren't enough people here!

Went on a picnic, went for walk. Set a summers resoluiton: go back to the park and walk each day. I'm seriously out of shape. Of course the 92 degrees doesn't help. (where is the panting icon?)

15. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Hot Dogs and Burgers with some beer tonight at my girl's place :D

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

So very true!

Sushi

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Two appropriate posts. Vets made sacrifices to give us the freedoms we have today, including to have "Hot Dogs and Burgers with some beer tonight at my girl's place".

18. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Absolutely!

I called up my only living grandfather today and talked to him a little bit about WWII.

Sometimes I feel sorry for the guy. He was in the army and actually had friends shot to death right next to him :eek:

I don't think I could have handled that at all. :(

edit: and to think a little ways to the right or left and I might not even have been born :eek:

19. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Went to a parade this afternoon, had hot dogs and got to mingle with local folk.

Spaghetti at home with the family. Had an actual dinner, we all got to sit at the same table and eat at the same time; something we haven't done in a very long time. :(

If your in the U.S. (or any country) armed forces, I'd like to thak you. :)

20. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Now were drifting into the political field...

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for the kind words Doctor Q. Thanks to all that have shown the proper respect that is due on such a solemn say! :)

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

:confused:

Seems to me all comments have been focused on Memorial Day and remembering those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for their country and the freedoms that they have provided us today.

Nothing like enjoying burgers and dogs with friends to celebrate this special day!

Sushi

23. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That is arguable. But I promised not to be the one to make it political, although Memorial Day *is* political from where I sit.

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I am most interested in hearing how a day of rememberance of those who have died for their country is political.

I do not want this thread honoring these brave souls to turn into a debate.

So please send a private message when you have time.

Thanks!

Sushi

25. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, I just returned from a Memorial Day Weekend camping expedition to the Beautiful Cascade Mountains here in Oregon. Fifty miles from any civilization, 2.5 mile hike to a camping spot w/ a personal waterfall, river that you can drink out of, and hot-springs to take the edge off. Managed to somehow eat better camping than at home...(first night was game-hens, smoked salmon, bratwurst marinated in beer, artichoke hearts, corn-on-the-cobb, w/smores for dessert...)Also managed to finish off 90 beers, 5 bottles of wine, and a nice bottle of Cognac...(seven of us, two nights)...a wonderful time...
    ...the point being, is relaxing in a hotspring in the middle of the woods at 3 am, I was the least political I have been in many months...and remembered the beauty of the US...as I just returned to home, and am exceedingly satisfied, I hope everyone else enjoyed their weekend as much...

BTW, taking many back-roads in the mountains (not paved), I can attest that a 70's Volvo station wagon can off-road with the best of them, another reason for not owning an SUV...(all I saw were pick-ups and many Subarus..)