Happy Mother's Day!

Discussion in 'Community' started by SilentPanda, May 7, 2005.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

To all the mum's out there...

Happy Mom's Day! Here's hoping your offspring didn't forget!

:D

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

My Mother.

My mother married an army officer 2 weeks before her 20th birthday, while in Tokyo.
    My mother was a deans list student at Duke.
    My mother had 3 sons, and her husband was an angry alcholic.
    My mother left my father when I was 6, we moved in with her father. My mother got a job as a secretary at a local military private school and went to night school, she cared for her mother in a nursing home with alzhiemers, and her father who was retired, and 3 braty boys. She got her degree and became a teacher, while caring for her father, and 3 braty boys. She went back to night school to get her masters degree, after working all day and caring for her father and 3 braty boys.
    She met a wonderful man, was re-married, moved in to another house, cared for her father and by now 1 braty boy (me), and 2 angry step-brothers.
    Her new husband died of a heart attack within 2 years, and her youngest son was leaving for college, and she toughed things out ALONE except for holidays, while caring for her father in a nursing home.
    My mother always gave me a wonderful Christmas, a christian upbringing, money for odds and ends, and love with a roof over it. My father died when I was 9 yrs old and had hardly sent a penny over the years. My mother worked harder than a hundred slaves and did without things for herself to raise 3 crappy unappreciative boys (2 have reformed).
    My mother even saved enough to retire a little early, travel while in retirement, owns her own condo, and buys gifts for her grandkids.
    I was lucky as **** to have such a strong, intelligent MOM! All 3 sons are moderately to wildly successful, married and have their own kids.
    I love my mother and try to make amends as often as possible, 2 of us crappy boys gave her a new Mac and broadband internet this year as a lame way of trying to appreciate decades of hard work and perseverance.

Happy Mothers Day to all the overworked, unappreciated, loving and caring Mothers who do without for themselves to ensure their children have a good start in life!

I love you mom!

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thanks for starting the thread Panda

For those of you who still have your moms around, do something special for them today! They truly are unsung heros and the "wind beneath your wings".

For those of you who have had bad experiences with your moms, make some kind of effort if you can to reach out to them one more time, or find a mother figure in your life and let them know how much they mean to you.

For those of you who have lost your moms (mine passed 17 years ago), spend some time reflecting on the good times you had. You too, can 'pay it forward' to someone else's mom... maybe someone who has lost their child.

For those of you who may not know who your biological mother is... give her the benefit of the doubt. She may have felt it was her only choice.

For those of you who have children, show some special appreciation for their mother, even though she isn't "your mom". She does far more than you give her credit for... and deserves your respect and honor... even if you are no longer together.

For those of you who ARE moms, thank you for all you do... we take you for granted far too often.

To all, have a great Mother's Day

Woof, Woof - Dawg

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    happy mothers day!!! even if im pretty far away from my mom right now (shes at home im half way around the globe in school) i was still able to arange to get her somethig :) woot

5. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Mothers day is nearly over back here in Australia. My mum is currently over seas, so i gave her a call and she was so happy. The best present is to let them know that you truly love them :).

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My Dad passed away 18 years ago today (May 8th) with a heart attack
    We buried him on Mother's Day, two days later (May 10th that year)
    He was 64, 3 months from retiring at Lockheed in Marietta, GA

My Mom passed away about 8 1/2 months later with lung cancer
    She was 58 and missed my Dad terribly

I was the presiding minister for both of their funerals (my first and second)

[​IMG]

You can read some about them in the Do you have a skeleton in the closet thread.

I miss them both :(

Woof, Woof - Dawg

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

8. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Thanks!

I am going to try and relax today. It's very hard to do with 2 toddlers! My own Mom, well I'm going over her house for dinner. She thinks the best way to spend mother's day is with her grandchildren

9. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Happy Mothers Day to my late mother.

Happy Mothers Day to my stepmother

Happy Mothers Day to my Stepsister, friends, and other family members.

And happy Mothers Day to all forum members and onlookers.

10. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Happy Mother's Day Mom!!! Can't say as much as everyone else here, but she has been one hell of a mom...

11. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

good for your mom man, I hope you guys treat her right. And it sounds like the two of you do. Now you need to get that third son/daughter and straighten him/her out.

But I'm glad you got your mom something nice, sounds like she deserves it.

12. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Nice thread...........and yes happy mothers day to any mother out there :rolleyes: :D :D

13. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Well my mother doesn't know it yet but... we've replaced her dining room table and chairs... she'll find out in a few hours... and I know she's totally not expecting it because I just did it on a whim... DVD's for mom? hrmmm... oh! New dining room!

heheh...

Now I just gotta wrangle some money outta my siblings... :p

14. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

My mother is an angel. She is in Caracas with my father who has leukemia, it is not bad but he can not travel any more because he needs tranfusions twice a week. My mother is with him all the time and she is maniging a cooking school with my older brother to pay the bills.

She is happy I am here in the US and my sister is moving next week too because of Hugo Chavez who is destroying the country and taking our goods with new laws. We actually have more murders by firearms in a week than Irak (and we are not in war) just because of the crime.

Mothers are incredible, they are people and need time to learn too but they are incredible. They had parents too that were people as well and between the good things and bad thing after we grow old we just learn we can not say "no" to them after we see how hard life is and how the managed to put us where we are.

She is the one that always wait for you until late at night and no matter what the diner is served. If she could she would give her last drop of blood if I ever needed.

My mother is a good friend and most of the mothers I know are like that, they do their best like no one else would.

Happy mothers day.

15. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I posted this once before, so for those who missed it earlier, Mother's Day is an appropriate day for a repost. I received this from my sister, so unfortunately I do not know who the original author is.

When G-d made Moms:

By the time the Lord made mothers He was into his sixth day of working overtime. An Angel appeared and asked, “Why are you spending so much time on this one?” And the Lord answered and said “Have you seen the specs on her? She has to be completely washable, but not plastic, have 200 movable parts, all replaceable, run on black coffee and leftovers, have a lap that can hold three children at one time and that disappears when she stands up, have a kiss that can cure anything from a scraped knee to a broken heart, and have six pairs of hands.”

The Angel was astounded at the requirements for this one. “Six pairs of hands! No way!” Said the Angel. The Lord replied, “Oh, it’s not the hands that are the problem. It’s the three pairs of eyes that mothers must have!”

“And that’s just on the standard model?” The Angel asked. The Lord nodded in agreement, “Yep, one pair of eyes to see through the closed doors as she asks her children what they are doing even though she already knows. Another pair in the back of her head, are to see what she needs to know even though no one thinks she can. And the third pair are here in the front of her head. They are for looking at an errant child and saying that she understands and loves him or her without even saying a single word.”

The Angel tried to stop the Lord. “This is too much work for one day. Wait until tomorrow to finish.”

“But I can’t!” The Lord protested, “I am so close to finishing this creation that is so close to my own heart. She already heals herself when she is sick AND can feed a family of six on a pound of hamburger and get a nine year old to stand in the shower.” The Angel moved closer and touched the woman, “But you have made her so soft, Lord.”

“She is soft,” the Lord agreed, “but I have also made her tough. You have no idea what she can endure or accomplish.”

“Will she be able to think?” asked the Angel. The Lord replied, “Not only will she be able to think, she will be able to reason, and negotiate.” The Angel then noticed something and reached out and touched the woman’s cheek. “Oops, it looks like you have a leak with this model. I told you that you were trying to put too much into this one.”

“That’s not a leak.” The Lord objected. “That’s a tear”

“What’s the tear for?” the Angel asked. The Lord said, “The tear is her way of expressing her joy, her sorrow, her disappointment, her pain, her loneliness, her grief, and her pride.”

The Angel was impressed. “You are a genius, Lord. You thought of everything, for WOMEN are truly amazing.”

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I join in wishing all the mothers a very happy Mother's Day. Our Pastor acknowledged them in Church this morning. First the great grandmothers, then the grandmothers, and finally the mothers.

All of the posts are awesome. They bring a tear to me also. I lost my Dad to cancer in 1974, while I was in the Air Force. My mother died in April 2004 of complications of Alzheimer's. There are always certainly a lot of great memories.

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Happy Mother's Day to anyone who is a mother, used to be a mother, plans to be a mother, has a mother, used to have a mother, or plans to have a mother! Does that cover it all?

My mom had a couple of sons. Me too. My mom was a school volunteer at a local middle school. Me too. My mom likes weird modern furniture. Me too. My mom did well in school. Me too. My mom likes silly humor, from the Goon Show and Monty Python to Weird Al Yankovic and Saturday Night Live. Me too. My mom works with computers. Me too. My mom likes classic rock. Me too. My mom was there when I was born. Me too!

I guess I owe it all to my mom. Thanks, Mom!