Happy Rosh Hashana!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Macco, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Macco macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2003
    I know it's a bit late, this being the second day of Rosh Hashana and all, but I just wanted to wish all of my Jewish co-Mac users "Shanah Tovah". I'm Jewish myself, and today, I sat through a two and a half hour service outside. It was boring, mostly reading through the prayerbook, and it was muggy, making for a sort of unpleasant experience. Last night, though, I went to what was probably the best service I have ever attended. The rabbi gave a sermon about how the biggest thing we have to fear is too much faith, i.e. fundamentalism, in both the United States and abroad. He said that having too much faith, believing that your way was the only way to God, led to the sort of self-righteous behavior of both terrorists in the Middle East and Christian fundamentalists back home (specifically the episode involving the Ten Commandments in the courthouse down south). All in all, I really liked that service. I'd love to hear about other peoples' experiences this weekend.
  2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Indeed, I was too at my Temple today...

Same reasons, same stuff.

Have a great new year!

Friday I did like football after school till 6 when I went to my aunt's (emm Matzo Ball Soup :p )

All good stuff.
  3. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
  4. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    wahh hoo go Jews!

Went to services, though they were kind of pointless, as there was almost no prayer!

Anyways, happy new year to you all.
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I'm not Jewish, but I wish all my fellow Jewish forum members Happy Rosh Hashana. Happy New Year number 5764.
  6. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    thank you wdlove.

I came home from school for the weekend, so i did the obligatory dinner at the grandmother's house friday night, services yesterday, and the bad jew that I am, i skipped services this morning to come back to school
  7. Macco thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2003
    I couldn't go to services on Sunday, I had to go to the dedication services to a nature preserve named for my grandfather. I can't really say I was that upset about not going to services yesterday, since I went on Friday and Saturday. The Friday service, with the main rabbi, was great, but the Saturday service outside with the assistant rabbi was too hot and too long. We literally went straight through seventy pages of the prayerbook.
    Kinda sucks how this year both days of Rosh Hashana were on the weekend this year. I'm sure all the non-Jews out there feel the same way, not having the days off from school or work. Yom Kippur is next Monday, so while you guys are enjoying your three day weekend, we get to fast and attone for our sins. Yay!