Happy St. George's Day!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Queso, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Queso macrumors G4

As the title says. I hope all English posters here are suitably attired in white and red :)

For those who don't know St. George is the patron saint of England, Catalonia, Georgia, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Bulgaria and Greece; and of Moscow, Istanbul, Genoa and Venice (second to St Mark).

He is patron of soldiers, cavalry and chivalry; of farmers and field workers, Boy Scouts and butchers; of horses, riders and saddlers, and archers; On the downside he is also the patron saint and protector of sufferers from leprosy, plague and syphilis.

So if you're a chivalrous Horse-riding Lithuanian Farm Worker who practices Archery and suffers from syphilis, he's your man :)

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Not personally, but my 'tar is. :)

Damn – I fall short on just one of those points... :eek:

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hahah. how ironic, when I packed my bags I took 4 shirts, 1 of them being a Welsh football shirt :D I don't like football, just Wales :eek: . So it wouldn't be a wise day to wear it then. I'm only 1/4 english too!

Thinking I might go looking for a dragon myself. The moors are on my doorstep at the moment and strange creatures lurk up there :eek:

4. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Nice effort!! Was that for just today or also for another upcoming event?

5. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Be very careful up there. Death awaits you all with nasty big pointy teeth :D

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_sounds/hg/runaway.wav

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Just today. I thought a England '66 away shirt would be nice for a change (if you'll excuse the pun!).

If the 'other event' you're referring to is one taking place in Germany this summer, I've got another one lined up for that, too. :)

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Isn't he also a dragon slayer?

Attached Files:

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

More like "guy who likes to pick on small lizards."

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hold up, are we allowed to celebrate St. Georges Day. What with all this race clamp down, 'we're not Britain' anymore attitude and rules we've been given?

Example, Christmas has been renamed Winterfest at my girlfriends uni :mad:

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There was a survey a few years back that said more English people celebrated St Patrick's Day than knew when St George's Day was - there's a mention of it on the BBC website somewhere.

I have no problem with English people celebrating St George - so long as they do it with the appropriate flag and don't commandeer the union jack. I wear tartan knickers on St Andrews Day and Burns Night after all ;)

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

We'll definitely have to have a picture.;)

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Keep a watch over your shoulder today, Gekko....

13. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Well, if I had my way there would be no Union Flag. Just four friendly independent republics where the UK used to be. Think about the advantages; For a start, we might all get a chance to win the Eurovision Song Contest :D

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

??? It would make you better singers ?? :confused:

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    :eek: That's an advantage? :p

I think St George's Day will start getting celebrated more now that some of the negative associations with the St George's Cross are less prevalent. I've always wondered whether the Irish and Scots celebrate their 'national' days with more fervour since they see themselves traditionally as the underdogs?

I don't think there is one... Ah well, you'll have to wait til 1 December :D

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Winning the Eurovision Song Contest has nothing to do with your singing ability (as is proven each year) – you always have the same set of nations palling together and giving each other high marks (for example, Cyprus and Greece will usually give each other top marks). If Wales, Scotland, England and Northern Ireland all entered separately and 'helped each other out' in a similar fashion then we'd have an advantage.

Of course, splitting up the UK might be a perfect excuse for us to withdraw from Eurovision altogether... :D

17. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Not at all, but judging from all the past winners that's not important. Each country in the Eurovision gets the same number of votes, although this means that Monaco (pop. 30,000) gets the same voting power as Russia (pop. just short of 200 million). Anyway, that's me getting a bit off track.

Under the current system, every time an Eastern European country splits in two it doubles it's votes in Eurovision, and as the Baltic States and the old bits of Yugoslavia have proved, these parts then immediately start voting for each other, skewing the result somewhat. To redress the balance, the UK should split in four. And whilst we're at it, we should hand indedepence to Gibraltar, because they'll vote for us too :)

EDIT : Beaten to it by the man with the smashing orangey bit :p

18. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Enter the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands in the competition too, and I think you might be onto something... ;)

19. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

In fact, we should give independence to every single county in the country!! We'd win every year :D :D

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Ah... I see Google is joining in with the fun, too.

Attached Files: