Happy St. Patrick's Day

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by i.Feature, Mar 17, 2006.

1. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Since i haven't seen a post yet. I'll wish everyone A happy St. Patty's Day!

Here's to a long life and a merry one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

:D

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm wearing green. most people in the office are. that, along with the ncaa tourney, and just it being friday in general, has it very quiet here, almost like it's a holiday. which makes me want to leave right now. even more than usual

3. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Had completely forgotten - Happy St Patricks Day. Will be definitely having a couple of these tonight:

Attached Files:

4. i.Feature thread starter macrumors 6502

i.Feature

I'll be hitting the pub for a few green beers tonite thats for sure. A couple balls of Malt too!

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Green beer is blasphemous. Drink Guinness! (or Smithwick's (pronounced smitticks) or Harp.)

Okay Paul, where's my money?

Actually, if you want green and beer, have some Heineken, as it's the second most popular beer in Ireland.
    Myself, I intend to drink the real stuff tonight, after I make some Guinness Beef Stew. Yum!

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Can someone please explain the "OMG, I'M IRISH!!!!" thing in the US to me, please. I know it's a great country 'n' all, and you lot have no history, but why?

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Haven't gone into work yet, but dreading it. I'm the only Irish person working for my company, and people will be wondering a) why I'm not wearing green, b) why I'm not drunk.

As I've said every year for the seven years I've been in California, you can tell who's Irish on St Patrick's day because they're the ones not wearing green.

And typically, Irish people don't need an excuse to get drunk, but I'm past all that now. I'll have a couple of glasses of wine later after work.

8. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Just remembered in time to wear green socks this morning. Although I'm half Irish, I don't really celebrate. Though, I did think of this as I was leaving to walk for work:

Top of the morning to ye on this gray, drizzly afternoon. Kent O'Brockman live on Main Street, where today everyone is a little bit Irish, except, of course, for the gays and the Italians.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm pretty confident that I'm wearing a green shirt today, but I can't be certain. ;)

10. i.Feature thread starter macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Very true. Only half Irish but anyday is a good day to celebrate. Today is just a good excuse for us to drag the rest of you along with us.

I'm making myself a pot as well.

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I haven't bothered to wear green since jr high and I only wore green from elementary school though jr high to avoid getting pinched. :mad:

But this is my first St. Patty's day since I turned 21. :D The boyfriend and I will be heading to Santa Cruz downtown (probably Rosie McCann's) for some Guinness and/or black and tans. Yay!

12. i.Feature thread starter macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Well most definately make sure you enjoy a nice malt too!

13. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I too would wear green just to get out of being picked on.

Actually, one of my middle school teachers would not wear green and said that if anyone (even a student) pinches him he would lay the smack down on them (or something to that effect). He was a tough guy and very cool. Everyone liked him. We knew it was in good fun but IIRC no one tested him.

If I get this final paper finished I may make a trip to some local place and have a drink or two.

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Traditional Irish Blessing:
    "May the road rise up to meet you
    May the wind be at your back
    May the rain fall softly on your fields
    And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead."
    [​IMG]

Also, why the hell doesn't [color][/color] supersede [url][/url]? :mad:

15. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

LOL...I second this entirely.

Seems everyone in the US thinks they are Irish on St. Patricks Day.

But, I guess that is because there are two kinds of people in the world: Those who are Irish, and those who want to be.

Aside from there, here's a joke to top of 'tis fine marnin:

(in an Irish accent)
    "Why do 'ta Irish put t'ree hundrit and tirty nine beans in der stew?"
    "One mar would be two farty."

(339 + 1 = 240)

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Um. My interpretation of many 'holiday's that are celebrated in the US is...

a lame excuse to get trashed.

As far as I have learned from Spanish in school, 'Cinco de Mayo' isn't really celebrated at all in Mexico. Mardi Gras. So St. Patty's seems like another example.

17. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Interesting ...

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I never said I wouldn't use a lame excuse.

19. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Hehe..rock on:D

(No excuse is a lame one lol)

Now that you've got me wanting a black and tan, I think I'll have to pick up some Guinness and Bass on the way home...

20. i.Feature thread starter macrumors 6502

i.Feature

From the wiki:
    Saint Patrick's Day (March 17) is a Catholic feast day which celebrates Saint Patrick (386-493), the patron saint of Ireland. It is a national holiday in the Republic of Ireland (but not Northern Ireland); the overseas territory of Montserrat; and the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Saint Patrick's Day is celebrated worldwide by Irish people and increasingly by many of non-Irish descent. Like Christmas and Halloween (which originated as the eve of All Saint's Day) it is increasingly celebrated in a non-religious manner, the celebration themed around all things green and Irish; both Christians and non-Christians celebrate the secular version of the holiday by wearing green, imbibing Irish food and drink, and/or attending parades. The largest St. Patrick's Day parade in the world is held in New York City. Parades also take place in Dublin and in most other Irish towns and villages. Other large parades include those in Savannah, Georgia, Manchester, Montreal, Boston and Chicago. Large parades also take place in other places throughout Europe and the Americas, as well as Australia and Asia.

As well as being a celebration of Irish culture, Saint Patrick's Day is a Christian festival celebrated in the Catholic Church, the Church of Ireland (among other churches in the Anglican Communion) and some other denominations. The day always falls in the season of Lent and sometimes during Holy Week. In church calendars (though rarely in secular ones) Saint Patrick's Day is moved to the following Monday when it falls on a Sunday. If it falls in Holy Week, it is moved to the second Monday after Easter. It is traditional for those observing a lenten fast to break it for the duration of Saint Patrick's Day.[1]

In many parts of the U.S., Britain, and Australia, expatriate Irish, those of Irish descent, and ever-growing crowds of people with no Irish connections but who may proclaim themselves "Irish for a day" also celebrate St. Patrick's Day, usually by drinking alcoholic beverages (lager dyed green, Irish beer such as Murphys, Smithwicks, Harp or Guinness, or Irish whiskey, Irish Coffee or Baileys Irish Cream) and by wearing at least one article of green-colored clothing. Former New York City Mayor Ed Koch once proclaimed himself "Ed O'Koch" for the day and is one of the most famous people of non-Irish descent to publicly revel on the holiday.

21. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Happy St. Pattys day to everyone. I won't be celebrating my culture today because no one is around. But someone have a Guinness for me.

22. i.Feature thread starter macrumors 6502

i.Feature

There's always someone around on St Patty's day who'll have a pint with ya. Just find a pub! In anycase i'll raise a glass for ya! :D

23. Melkor macrumors 6502

Happy Paddy's Day! I'm going to get drunk now.

24. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Happy St.Patrick's Day t'yall! Diddly-Dee Potatas!

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

To be sure to be sure.

Let those who love us, love us.
    And to those who don't love us, may god turn their hearts.
    And if he cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles.
    So we will know them by their limping.

Paddy's day was yesterday and it would've been awesome, if I were drinking, but I have no money and assignments up the wazoo.