Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
Its been one week since I received my shiny new 20" Intel iMac. I thought I'd share my first thoughts about the whole switching process for any prospective switchers out there who might be interested. I've been using pc's for 15+ years now. This wasn't a rush decision. It took me 4 months of reading to make up my mind.

I started looking at Macs because I was concerned about the security issues in Windows XP. And while MS has gotten better about security, I just don't think it will ever be as safe as it should be.

I'd read various things about OSX over the years, and with Apple using Intel processors, and providing Boot Camp, I thought its now or never. I put my order in and waited anxiously for my new baby to arrive. I figured even if I absolutely hated OSX, I could always install Windows. That was my safety net.

It's only been a week but I can tell you now, I won't be using Windows as my OS anymore. I've gotten a taste of OSX and I won't be going back. I do have Boot Camp and Parallels up and running with XP, but I will only be using it as a necessary evil until I can afford to replace all of my windows software or the occasional game.

I'm quite impressed with the operating system and the apps I got with the system. Expose totally rocks, and Widgets are just plain cool. Garageband is fun to tinker with and making faces in Photo Booth is silly but quite entertaining. All the apps seems very intuitive and easy to use.

Plugged my external hardware into the computer and I've not had any problems. OSX found my DLink router without a hitch, no drivers needed for my HP printer. Tested my USB hub, no problems there, plugged in my USB Logitech Headset and that works nicely too.

The screen on this iMac is just gorgeous. It's so bright and beautiful. I had a flat screen LCD with my old pc but there is just no comparison. OSX itself is easy on the eyes and a refreshing change to what I was used to.

About the only thing I have to say negative is I hate the bluetooth mouse I got with my system. The keyboard is nice but I now have my old wireless MS optical mouse back in service and living a new life on the iMac.

So far I have no regrets for making the switch. I think life will be a bit more peaceful without all the worry and hassles I've had to put up with over the years on my Windows computers.

I think Apple sells quality hardware, and when you include the OS and the apps you get with your new computer, its a fair deal. If you're considering making the switch, my advice is to read all your can about Mac, read more switcher stories, and ask questions. I really don't think you'll regret it. Best of luck, whatever you decide.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Ladybug said:
I'd read various things about OSX over the years, and with Apple using Intel processors, and providing Boot Camp, I thought its now or never. I put my order in and waited anxiously for my new baby to arrive. I figured even if I absolutely hated OSX, I could always install Windows. That was my safety net.

It's only been a week but I can tell you now, I won't be using Windows as my OS anymore. I've gotten a taste of OSX and I won't be going back. I do have Boot Camp and Parallels up and running with XP, but I will only be using it as a necessary evil until I can afford to replace all of my windows software or the occasional game.

Hehe. I think this is what MS is fearing. People sick of their bulky, horrible looking peecees and buying an intel mac for the quality hardware, figuring that they would just run windoze on it, and forget about OSX. But when they try OSX, they get addicted, and never turn back to windoze...:D :D

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Welcome to Mac Ladybug! :) Glad to hear that you are enjoying using Mac OS and your shiny, new iMac Core Duo.

Thanks for sharing your switcher story- it is always nice to hear about people's experience with Mac! :)

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
Welcome, Ladybug! It is so refreshing to hear a positive experience from a new users' standpoint. I'm glad you like it-I've been using Macs for just a couple of years and I still find things I didn't know it could do.

nitynate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2006
Clearwater, FL
I am probably feeling the same as you about macs, but i have the sexay mighty mouse, as i have had my 17" imac for a couple weeks...
I have been preaching the good news to all of the student population at my Middle School. :p

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
Thanks guys. Its been a fun ride so far. I'll try to post some pics really soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.