Happy Thanksgiving!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'm off to engage in my annual ritual of gluttony and football. Just wanted to wish IJ, blackfox, zim, 'Rat, SPG, DontHurtMe, B2TM, pseudo, and everyone else a wonderful Thanksgiving.

For skunk, takao, diamond geezer, Zaid, and the rest of the folks outside the US who may not care about peculiar US holidays - have a great day as well.

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Thanks Sayhey. Just to make this political, here are some relevant cartoons:
    Enjoy the day.

Attached Files:

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Thanks. I just got back from a great Thanksgiving dinner in Chelsea. :)

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i celebrated by overeating (original, eh?) and drinking too much scotch. speaking of which, here's my uncle in front of the "best of" his massive collection.

Attached Files:

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I am back too, and need to lie down soon. I am glad to hear everyone's day has been well.

Zim, I would like to meet your uncle.

6. Zaid macrumors 6502

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i enjoyed my day having 11 hours university from 9am to 8 pm and playing NFS Underground 2 and eating a _huge_ dish of spaghetti in the evening

but today i will 'sacrifice' a few beers ;)

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'd like to meet his whiskey.

9. Zaid macrumors 6502

Went to the Scotch Malt Whiskey Society on Wednesday.

Single cask scotch goodness!! :D :D
    ahhhh....
    Had an excellent north highland whiskey, though the islay's were somewhat average

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

11. Zaid macrumors 6502

Yes, true

appologies for the extreme lack of talent evidenced there. :)

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Belated Happy Thanksgiving to all....

This Thanksgiving was different. Came back from the "mother-law's" late last night. My lover and I brought up the food last weekend since she is now on disability, and her funds are limited. She loved cooking for us, and "splurged" by making some sausage and pancakes for us.

We had a cry-fest, when I after the prayer over the meal decided to give thanks for what I saw as my "blessings" this year. It had been a rough year for my lover and I (a job layoff for him - with just temp work since then, a "major surgery" for him - appendix - which lead to more time off, a slow year financially at my job - so a raise that just covered "inflation" - never mind that gas and energy prices are up about 25% from last year or that our property taxes went up about 10% due the raise in home values here or that many foods are up 10 to 20% from last year due to the hurricanes). Yet Thanksgiving Eve, I got a call from a contact at the local shelter/soup-kitchen; they were needing clothes since the weather was going to turn colder than what we had for the last few weeks. We dropped off some things in the morning. Seeing some of the people there gave me a true reason to be thankful.

We may not have had the best year. But it showed that so many others have had a worse year. I live in Fairfax County, Virginia. One of the richest counties in the US. It appears that so many more are falling through the cracks here. Yet I see on the news that evening that the situation is even worse in cities like Cleveland. So that we are able to keep a roof over our heads, food on the table, and clothes on our back (as well as being able to splurge on things like cable modems and .Mac, and the such); we are doing great.

In a country that has something like 50% of the homes without a computer, we have three (two desktops and laptop). We both have cars that are less than two years old. Given the humbling experience this year, we both are looking to make our cars last 6 to 10 years, since many are limited on their choice of jobs due to public transportation issues (as long as we don't slip in to the problem that so many are having).

My lover and I (which we are thankful that we will be celebrating 12 years together this New Years Eve - despite legal recognition that a straight couple would have had by now) did talk last night. It is hard to turn back the hands of time. We like what we have now. Yet we are now looking at being more responsible - to ourselves and the society as a whole. The eMac/iMac/PB updates will have to hold till a point that we can no longer do with the current models we have (whether for "true" performance or due to repairs) - only because we both do work from home. As said before, the cars will have to last us a while, regardless of our fortunes to be able to afford a newer car.

Since charity begins at home, we are trying only to buy with double coupons, or markdowns on what ever we buy. We are setting up the cushion to better prepare ourselves for "misfortune". Any excess is going to go to those that don't have it as well as we do. Selfish that we don't lower our standards further? Maybe. This is a first step.

[Sorry for the "rant". But the original post hit home in so many ways. My lovers brother came over for a quick visit yesterday - he is police officer in their Mom's county. He talked of everything that his kids were demanding for Xmas. He complained about how he was going to meet the "demands". Thanksgiving is to be about counting our "blessings" or giving thanks for what we have had this year. I think that we have lost that belief. While some of us are "licking our wounds" over the election, and that the political agenda does not match ours; many of us still can have a "good" life compared to so many others.]

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's pretty much the same thing.

14. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
  15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sheesh, what am I, chopped liver? ;)

Happy belated Turkey day all. Recovering from a gluttony fest of roast brined turkey, blue cheese mashed potatoes w/ port carmelized onions, green bean caserole w/ fried shallots, gravy, buttermilk biscuits, and a tart cranberry dipping sauce. Oh and a pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. Plus there were tequilla sunrises, shots of cabo wabo, and plenty of beers. Oh yeah. Giggety giggety giggety.

Followed by hiking the next day. :D

16. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Thank you for the wishes.

Work sucked, very busy, dealing with lovely people in the holiday moods. On top of it all, I have been sick as a dog with a sinus infection, so I have not been in the best mood either.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

18. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    so you're saying you have been in a good mood previously...
    ;)

well, i hope you feel better and get back to your gruff but lovable self.

19. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

HA. Now that is the hardest I have laughed in a while.

Hope you are well to 3rdpath.