Happy to have bought when I did...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rschapel, Apr 19, 2004.

1. rschapel macrumors member

Well I have only had my mac for like 20 days (a refurb 15inch PB with superdrive). I lucked out when I got my mac it just happened to have a a single 512mb dim, so I bought another one, and WHAM I have a nice 1Gb of ram right now. Since I bought a refurb, I only paid $1999 dollars for the mac and a $239 for apple care. (edu discount there). I figured I saved about $400 on buying this older mac, I think I did pretty well. I could see where 4x drive would come in handy for burning the DVD's, but lets face facts, if your using imovie then shifting it over to idvd, the built time is the biggest time sucker, so burning would take 15 minutes instead of 30... I'll keep my 400 thank you very much. Not to mention I got to do movie stuff for my nephews baptism, truly pricless =) .

The video card upgrade would have been nice, but neither laptop is going to be a Doom III FPS machine.

The CPU update, sure that would have been nice, but I am pretty sure that when I was converting my imovie to idvd that was mostly HD spinning time.

Now for those of you that waited congrads, your machine is gonna be slighty faster than mine! You gonna love it as much as I do, for those of you that where waiting becuase they where sick of 2 yr old technology in the bus, wel guess what ;) DOH, such is life. Your going to have to wait till next year to get a PB G5. The next Mac I buy will be a PB G5 Generation 2 refurb. (about 2 yrs from now)

Apple please continue to put time into getting apps to run fast on both the G4 and the G5... PLEASE!!! :)

What ever you all get, I hope your happy with it!

2. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Congrats on your machine mate, and I'm glad you're happy with it :)

To add my opinion:

I've resigned myself to the fact that my 6 day old PB 12in combo has now been superseeded. However, my PB has AE - one of the features added in the recent update. If we crunch some numbers:

UK price - PB 12in combo £1299
    AE card £100

US price - PB 12in combo $1599
    AE card $100

Combine this with the fact that the very nice person in Apple Store Soho offered me a refurb - at first, I thought - nah.... since I had the money for the new one, which, inclusive of tax, worked out at $1736. I looked at the refurb - it was in original box, with original seal intact. It had NEVER been OPENED. At all! It was refurb in name only.

So: PB 12in combo = $1563 inc. tax AE card = $100
    Altogether, everything cost me $1663 (or £961 at exchange rate when my dollars where converted). Compare that to the £1399 it would all cost me in total over here. I saved £438 due to the exchange rate, and the fact Apple products are always a lil cheaper in the US.

How could I not be happy with my baybee :)

I know that's a boring post - but just to show that sometimes, having the latest and greatest isn't always the best. Especially for a skint high-school student.

andy

3. Nny macrumors regular

Nny

That's called "factory refurbished." It's a refurb. Apple Store sales reps are not simple... they would not make that kind of mistake.

4. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

It wasn't a mistake. The unit had been returned unopened, presumably because the reciever had changed his mind. I've done this with a case before - I've returned unopened to avoid restocking fees et al.

Apple - as with any company - can't sell an item that's been sent out as new, because it's not, technically - trading standards dictate these rules. They didn't make a mistake - they're abiding by the law.

Oh, and for the record - the outer box had been opened. The inner neoprene covering around the comp hadn't. Just some clarification in case that's what you're debating or whatever.

andy

5. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

So what you're saying is that if the powerbook came in the orginal case with all the seals intact it was never opened?

Cool! That's what mine was! :cool: All the seals were still intact (including those on the manuals and little baggies holding the cords).

I just keep getting happier with this thing :) Even though I've now joined the ranks of those with the "old" powerbooks. The refurb savings made it possible, and it's been a dream to use! So, like Randy, I'm pretty pleased I made the plunge when I did. And my hats off to those who waited for the speed bump.

Now everyone's rumor-efforts can be focused exclusively on the ephemeral G5! :rolleyes: