Happy Veterans Day

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Nov 10, 2006.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Today, November 11, 2006 is Veterans Day in the US, so take some time to remember them.:)

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

And, likewise, it's Remembrance Day in the UK :)

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Very good idea. ...And for our MacRumors members around the world, it's also known as Remembrance Day and Armistice Day.

For those who might be unaware of the history of this holiday, we celebrate November 11th, the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice between Germany and France, marking the official end to WW I. We reserve this day to honor all Veterans who have fought in any war around the world.

Please, everyone, at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, take several minutes of complete silence & peace to remember all Veterans who have fought for your country.

Plus, if there happen to be any Veterans reading this - Thank You! :)

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

...And Australia. Lest we forget. :)

6. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Still 1 hour and 45 minutes for me:). A moment of remembrance....................................and thanks for the day off...........

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I just covered a Veteran's Day ceremony, and as I listened to the speakers heaping praise on our soldiers, past and present, I couldn't help thinking of something else.

Without taking anything away from our veterans, many of whom made the ultimate sacrifice, there is one group of people that never get thanked: intelligence personnel. Codebreakers, codemakers, intel analysts, technicians, and most of all spies who actually put their lives at risk (and sometimes they make the ultimate sacrifice) -- all in relative or total anonymity.

Not all of these people are Americans; we do hire foreign nationals to do some of this dirty work. But our fellow citizens who do this kind of job are protecting this country in a different way, but no less so than the soldiers who go to the battlefields. Their work may not be as glorious or visible, but they do deserve to be recognized along with our uniformed veterans.

8. imacintel macrumors 68000

Remembrance Day here in Canada.:)
    30 more min...

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Remembering is appropriate. How they are remembered isn't always the same.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's disgusting. Georgia is a disgraceful place if they don't change things like that.

11. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

i think its important to recognize veterans day.