Happy with new i-mac

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by gjaett, Feb 14, 2002.

1. gjaett macrumors newbie

i just saw that many costumors got their new i-mac delivered, but i couldent read how happy somone is with it.
    i will change from PC to Mac and i wonder how happy i will be when i get it.

2. islygon macrumors newbie

iMac

I understand everyone who received theirs are happy with them, but those of you who did, let us know.

Mine of course is stuck in customs in Alaska....

3. skyhawk macrumors newbie

I'm very happy with mine. The screen is very crisp. I'm still loading software to get to match-up with my icebook 500 dual usb. I haven't seen any draw back or let down yet. And the best thing is I picked it up in person at Fry's in Houston, TX so no waiting for delivery! I got it last Sunday Feb 10, 2002.

4. dsnyc macrumors newbie

iMac

I'm very happy with mine. Of course, considering that my old mac was a Powermac 6400, there's really no comparison.

The iMac is fast, looks great, my Internet connection with Road Runner is very fast, iPhoto is cool in combo with iTools and my Sandisk card reader, iTunes works great with my iPod. I haven't tried hooking up my camcorder yet. I also purchased Office & I am very happy using Entourage for email. Brother 1450 laser printer also works very well too.

Considering buying an iSub, but want to hear more people say it works well with the new iMac.

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I heard that the iSub doesn't carry enough torpedoes to be effective in combat (or an iWar).

How many more iThings will there be?? How about an iAxe that plays music while you chop wood (kinetic engergy to power it). An iBench for your workshop that uses OS X to hand you the correct tool as you reach towards it. The ever famous iPot that not only makes coffee for you, but delivers it to your desk within a nonosecond of when it is done. The very popular iBong that holds over five pounds of ganja, lites itself and even orders up munchies for you. :D

Just tying to inject a smattering (or iTouch) of humor into the nasty day.

6. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Re: iMac

someone posted on another thread that 10.1.2 doesn't support card readers... but it does? i would be so happy... i have a sandisk cf reader, and it's so much easier to use than actually plugging the camera in!

7. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Re: Re: iMac

Oddly enough, while iPhoto can use them, they don't appear on the desktop like in OS 9.

8. dsnyc macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Re: iMac

The Sandisk SmartMedia reader I have does appear on the desktop in 10.1.2 as soon as I put the card into it. (I downloaded an updated driver from 1/02.)

BUT--I also have a Zio! card reader which is totally useless in 10.1.2.

9. getcalibrated macrumors newbie

Regulatory Clearance Delay

First time poster and defector from Micro$oft/Wintel:

Fedex says my iMac is in Anchorage Alaska for the last two days because of the reason : "Regulatory Agency Delay". Does anyone know what this is? I mean if it's inspection requirements to thwart terrorism, that's cool with me...I just wonder what Regulatory Agency is causing the delay.

I have seen the light and it's called Apple.

10. dsnyc macrumors newbie

Re: Regulatory Clearance Delay

I had the same problem with mine. I read that the delay was due to FDA inspection. As I recall it was about a 2 day delay, so yours should be on its way soon.

11. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Re: Regulatory Clearance Delay

I bet they are taking th iMacs out of the boxes and playing with them.

This is my 100th post, I am so happy to be a regular:):D ;) :cool: ;)

12. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Regulatory Clearance Delay

Congrats!!! :D :p :D

And to getcalibrated; welcome to the board. hope your shiny new imac arrives soon. Have one at work, and it's fantastic (the screen is so.... awwwwsome! :) )

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Re: Re: Regulatory Clearance Delay

FDA?! I shouldn't have to point this out, but iMac -- Not Food.

Not necessarily questioning your word, dsync, because I know it's just as likely that the government HAS for some reason decided they need to make sure the new iMacs aren't some weird species of canteloupe or something.

14. dsnyc macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Re: Regulatory Clearance Delay

I agree it seems absurd, but I read in another string on MacRumors that the FDA inspects products containing lasers & the iMac has a laser in the superdrive.

15. edgecurve macrumors newbie

Got mine!

I got my iMac last Thursday. I love it. I'm actually a PC convert. I posted this to another discussion so if you've seen it forgive me. I chronicled my experience switching from PC to my iMac:

From PC to Mac

Scott

16. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

Re: Got mine!

Ya, I was a PC convert too.. for years I hated Macs, because admittedly, when I started into the 16 bit world, Amiga was king to all those who had the pleasure of using them, they were far ahead of the Mac and PC in terms of hardware.. but the Mac and the PC had the applications, so the Amiga died.. after a couple years of reluctance I finally gave in and bought a PC. I was so depressed. It totally sucked. It crashed all the time. Blue Screen of Death.. all that.. lame lame lame! Then a friend showed me his new iMac.. I was so impressed, I ordered one right away! I'm not looking back and no regrets.. especially since the advent of OS X, I couldn't be happier as a student in Comp Sci and a programmer in C++ and web page design, I have all the tools and software I need, and the hardware is great too. The best of both worlds!

17. moby1 macrumors 6502

Tried the SuperDrive yet?

I am very curious to know how well the iMac burns DVD's. This is a primary reason I ordered mine.
    I have an opportunity to pick up a 733 with a 15" screen for a couple hundred more than the iMac...

Anybody burning DVD's? that could offer an opinion on how well these two machines compare with DVD data backup and authoring?

18. gjaett thread starter macrumors newbie

Got mine last Friday

i was very surprised using the new i-mac, i dident even had to do some adjustments for the DV-Kamera, it just worked fine.
    (when im thinking about the first time i tried with the PC)

im waiting to get the Final Cut Pro, and then i want to test the Superdrive, but i guess it will take quite a time to burn 4.7GB.
    but until then i dont want to waste a DVD-R.

19. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Superdrive

The superdrive is what would cause me to upgrade from my 466 G4. Has anybody used theirs on an iMac with iDVD yet? Any first impressions? Thanks

20. dutchmaster macrumors newbie

new iMac impressions

I received my new iMac more than a week ago and its hard to express how pleased i am with it. its sitting side by side with my iMac DV+ 450 which is till running 9.1 due to a great deal of music editing software (cubase, reason, halion, even good ol' soundedit 16!) which are not quite ready for 10. The isub seemed to work flawlessly at first, but occasionally seems to fall slightly behind the track, with bass notes strangely out of time with what is coming out of the pro speakers. any one else had this happen, know any fixes? The screen/presentation is exceptional. the speed is everything i hoped for and the superdrive, though i have not used it extensively, worked fine for burning a dvd (data-file storage). Besides the music programs [which i am not in any rush to have for the X platform.. as I am devoting my entire "old" iMac to music purposes], I am waiting for my scanner drivers for X (Epson 1240U?) and of course, photoshop. I would especially recommend the new iMac to windows users as it is a great introduction to the mac platform, OS X and has my girlfriend, [a former windows user] hooked and amazed.

21. Quark macrumors regular

My iMac, from PC switcher

I have had my new iMac for a couple of weeks now. I am new to Macs and OS X.

I switched for several reasons: iPod, power, Unix core, iApps, Airport2, etc.

The combination of those were the major reasons. No single one would cause me to switch.

My iMac was opened when I received it with tape half off and layers of tape half on. They obviously went through the box to see what was in it, but I'm certain that they didn't take out the machine and boot it up.

I am quite happy with it and love the interface and the Wireless Airport2 connection. I also have RoadRunner and am able to download files at 250KB/sec. on average. It usally spikes to 400KB/sec. That is 400 KiloBytes, not bits! I can download a 1 meg file in about 3-4 seconds.

I only have one problem, the Browser Fonts never look good. I have tried IE, Netscape and now OmniWeb(the best). All the fonts always look weird and unclear. When I turn off Anti-Aliasing, they look really blocky. When I turn it on, they look really fuzzy. I have to increase the font size to a really large size in order to make it look decent.

Am I alone in this? What am I doing wrong?

Other than that I love my new iMac!!

Thanks,
    Quark

22. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

try this out...

Go up into your browser's preferences and change the fonts it is using for the different items. You can also change the size of the font there. For IE (under OS X), go to the Explorer menu, to Preferences, then to Language/Fonts item. You will be able to set everything there.

I also set the cache to only 1MB since, I also have a high speed connection. With anything faster then dial up, you can reduce the cache size, which allows you to reduce the amount of memory, and space, that the browser uses on your system.

Happy browsing... :D

23. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Re: My iMac, from PC switcher

I read a trick for that, I used it myself, and it worked: standard prefs are that text smoothing is turned off for fonts 9 and smaller, change that to eight, and voila (system prefs, general, at the bottom select 8)

24. qfunk macrumors newbie

Interesting... 22 replies in this thread and not a single person complaining about the fact that the display on the new imacs gradiates from darker to lighter from top to bottom, no not viewing angle related. It also turns out it's not just mine... (I bought one yesterday, then came to find on here that it's a universal phenomenon...)

I don't know about you guys, but I'm finding it highly irritating as a graphic designer. How will I EVER judge color on this thing when the top is darker than the bottom by a good 8-10%?

I hesitate to say this, but I feel a little robbed. At the very least, ANY monitor should have consistent color, brightness and clarity. This one has consistent clarity, but that's it.

qfunk

PS--And with Apple Store's 10% ($179) restocking fee if I return it, I'm feeling doubly screwed. I honestly don't know if I can feel comfortable with this purchase. I don't see myself being able to "ignore" what I have to look at everytime I'll have to use it.

25. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

My boss has ordered one of the new iMac's (800MHz model). When she gets it home, I will ask her to check out the display on it to see if it has any problems. Considering how many systems we purchase at work from Apple every year, we have an excellent relationship with them. I haven't had any problems speaking with Apple tech's in the past, other then having to wait on hold sometime to speak with one. I have had issues escalated to higher tech levels, just to get a part replaced. 99% of the time I have already done the steps they ask for. Sometimes I need to repeat them in order for them to hear a noise (defective zip drive or the one time I had a new TiBook with a clunking hard drive). Once they have confirmed the problem, replacement items, or shipping boxes typically arrive within 2 business days. Our normal turnaround time for laptops is about 5 business days (from when they ship us the box).

Personally, I won't get one of the new iMac's. All my desktop Mac systems have been towers, and will continue to be in the future.