Harassing Cell phone calls?

Discussion in 'Community' started by iMetalG5, Aug 22, 2005.

1. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

My friend is getting a ton of "Restricted Number" calls on her cell. Is there anyway to find out where these calls are coming from? I assume its someone doin the *67 but I always thought that showed up as "Private Call"

I suggested calling the carrier but not sure if they can track that down or disclose that info??

Just thought I'd ask on the forum.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I got a mail from a US friend about this a while back saying that cell phone directories had now been opened up to telemarketers. They generally phone from 'restricted' numbers - or at least they do in the UK

Apparently, the Do Not Call register has also been extended to cell phones too now so she can opt out of them if they're annoying her

Do Not Call link

3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I think the carrier/service provider should be able to help in some respect.

4. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

My friend works as a telemarketer and a damn good one at that! Cold calls people sells em stuff over the phone! Apparently they buy telephone listings buy the 10,000s. Restricted numbers too!

5. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmmmm

so "restricted number" usually means a corporation or some type of business entity!?

She thought it is an ex-BF harassing her as she just broke up with him two weeks ago and you know how that goes.

I kept telling her its probably him but seeing "restricted number" threw me off. As when people block their ID it usually says, "Private"

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If he's in the UK and using restricted numbers without checking them against the UK 'do not call' list (the Telephone Preference Service), he's breaking the law and if someone reports him, or his company, to the Data Protection Registrar, he could find himself in prison.

I don't mind calls from companies that I have an account with in regards to a service that I have. I report calls that are made without prior contact by myself since I've been on the TPS for 12 months and it's against direct marketing industry rules to use lists which are that out of date.

If you're in the UK, it's important to make sure that you tick the 'opt out of extended' register when you complete your Registration to Vote. That allows the credit agences (Experian etc) to see you for credit purposes but stops your name/address being visible/sold to third parties for any other purpose.

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

are the phone calls harassing because they keep calling or when you friend picks up the phone they are harassing? in most cases, i think the police will track down the person if life or limb is threaten. this may sound silly, but if your friend can make a "click" or "beep" sound on the line when the person calls then says "the police are on the on the line now" it usually scares them off. it will be hard to manage on a cell phone though. if you have an small electronic device with a short voice memo feature you could record it on a regular phone then play it in the cell phone when needed.

8. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

She said whoever it is just keeps calling and not saying anything. then she hangs up and they call back like an hour later, etc... goes on the whole day almost she said. just started on saturday and yesterday and today she said no one has called.

but again, if it says "restricted number" i mean how does that work? i usually get telemarketer calls with that ID and once I forgot to pay a bill and they called me on my cell and it showed up like that. so i wasn't sure if its because they are corporations, etc...

9. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

call the cell phone company and ask them to block the number and see if they will. they know which number is calling you. the person(s) probably has it blocked by they phone company, or they know how to get around caller id which isn't hard. a third possibility is that they are using some strange corporate phone system which generates a "restricted number".