hard cider!

Discussion in 'Community' started by krossfyter, Jan 24, 2003.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

like it OR dont like it?

im down with it.

some people say its a chick drink. i dont care.

if you dont want a beer or some wine or the regular girlie girl drink... have some hard cider.

im in love with amber! hornsbys hard amber cider that is.

dig it.

(well chalk one up for another blah thread on macrumors)

2. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

*sigh*

i knew i should have started another political thread... those seem to get more responses then any other thread on macrumors.

well next time.

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

hard cider is not a chick drink. At least not when its a good dry cider like strong bow or blackthorn (british brands). Local cider brews in England can be nearly as strong as wine, but drunk like beer. It WILL knock you on your ass. Even mass produced brews are stronger than the vast majority of beer. Cider is a great alternative to beer, but not all the time since its significantly sweeter. If you haven't had strong bow on tap, you're missing out.

Now, pear cider and things like that are terrible drinks, and are totally chick drinks.

4. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

oh really. i guess people who mainly drink beer and are ignorant on cider call cider a chick drink. so you from birtian? most britian bands dig on hard cider? what groups would you associate hard cider with?

i hate pear cider.

so you got a link to the best hard cider in the world?

5. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I don't like the amber kind, but the regular Hornsby's is my fav.

Woodchuck isn't too bad either. But that kind with the big K on the bottle is just nasty, as far as I'm concerned.

I think Hornsby's makes a green apple hard cider now too, I'll have to try that sometime.

enoch

6. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

yeah ive got the regular draft cider.... im down with it.

woodchuck is cool to. thats the first time ive ever tasted hard cider was when i tasted woodchuck. i was like WOW

7. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

the funny thing is that i hate beer... i hate the taste of it. it created within me gag effect.

but hard cider... i can dig.

8. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I've never had hard cider. I guess I should try some. BTW, if you want to start a political thread, how about "What I would do if I were President"? :D

9. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Hornsby's is not cider...

...in any way.

It is not made from Apples, it is basically a wine cooler with some apple flavoring.

Woodchuck and some other brands are actually made from pressed apples or other fruit and have great fruit character. When the US was young, cider was by far the drink of choice for the colonies, surpassing ale many times over in consumption, it was only later, especially after German immigrants brought lagering techniques, that beer became so popular here.

And incidentally, pear cider like Ace that is actually made from fruit tastes unbelievable. A half-and-half of pear cider and draught stout is called a "snakebite" and is awesome!

10. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: Hornsby's is not cider...

reallY! hmm.

so beer is in essence an import thing and hard cider is pure american?! wow.

so are you sure about the horsnbys deal? i dont want to go around spreading lies. give me a link yo.. if you can.

interesting.

11. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I've got british citizenship (dual citizenship actually), but I've lived my entire live in America. But when I've gone over their to visit, cider is one fo my favorites cause its on tap everywhere. Strongbow, blackthorn and woodpecker are all good, dry ciders. When they are really dry its a lot better I think. Hornsby is pretty good, Bulmers (another british brand) is good too. My cousins have told me that everyone there has a good story abuot the first time they got drunk on cider because the didn't relaly realize how strong it was.

And yes, anyone who knocks sider for being a chick drink is ognorant of what it relaly is. Its OK if you don't like it, but when I think chick drink, I think of fruity cocktails or weak wine coolers. Cider is strong, very strong. I'd put a cider thats more than 6% alcohol against a 3% lager anytime. How about ciders that are up around 10-12%. They exist (I have no idea where you'd find them though)

beer is good of course to. I consider them very different drinks and drink them according to what I feel like having. Sometimse a cider is really good and refreshing, but sometimes you want a good ole black and tan.

12. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

thats a good one.

light it ^UP home spank!

13. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

dammmmm*t good point.

next time someone calls cider a chick drink ill call them out by using this line....

"ill put my 6% suppose chick drink cider against your 3% lager buddy! "

you know bust thier thought chops!!!

lol

so man... someone find me a link to that 12 or 13% cider.... wow!

14. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Actually, we brought cidermaking and ale brewing with us from England, so neither is "American" per say, but then neither are we, "really". (actually, among beer styles, only "steam beer" that uses lager yeast at ale temperatures was developed in America.)

Very little of brewing is new except refridgeration. Egyptians were making primitive beer 4500 years ago, and some cultures may have been making mead much longer than that, and techniques are almost identical to modern methods. We borrow our knowledge of brewing just like we do of everything else.

Yes, I am sure about Hornsby's, wine cooler.

15. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay man... thanks for that. im soaking this crap up now.
    [​IMG]

16. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

That interesting about hornsby, I never relaly looked at it that close. it taste pretty decent though, if a bit sweet for my taste.

Speaking of steam brews, does anywhere else in the US get Anchor Steam. its a local San Francisco brew and has quickly become my absolute favorite beer. Crisp, not too heavy, just plain old tastes good. A little hard to find sometimes, even here in the bay area, but totally worthwhile.

17. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Sorry, i don't actually know of any brands that high. I did a quick search on google and turned up a few hits, one as high as 18%, though it seemed to be more like a wine than a cider. I didn't look to closely though.

You can always make your own. My mom made hard cider in a big bucket a fwe times. Actually, now that I think abuot it, I may look into trying that myself. Maybe find a way to incorporate a little bit of cider into a home brew beer or something. Could be fun to experiment with.

18. medea macrumors 68030

medea

definitely not a chick drink....I prefer woodpecker over hornsby or woodchuck but they are both good. I'd like to point out that I really dislike the taste of most beers.

19. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

we are on the same page as far as this crap gooes.

20. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

cool... well thanks for looking. if you ever make some of your own... give me some instructions... id like to try it.

rock

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I love sparkling apple cider, my wife bought me some to have at New Years. That way I had something special to drink, since she likes wine! :)

22. KVH macrumors newbie

Woodchuck Amber is my fav, but if you are not used to it, you will get "gut rot". As per a few of my friends.
    Granny Smith and Dark is also good.

23. iGav macrumors G3

Strongbow is my fav.... strong and dry.... and I'll also take Scrumpy Jack if the Strongbow isn't on sale, can't do sweet ciders like Woodpecker.... and Dry Blackthorn makes my throat swell really badly....

But if you want real cider, go to the West Country of England and buy yourself some Scrumpy from small cider farms..... ;)

24. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

what the hell does "gut rot" feel like?

i got something in the morning that didnt feel too good.... after downing 6 hard ciders the other night.