Hard Disc Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by geo6121, Mar 4, 2007.

1. geo6121 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just (finally) got 2 Macs networked; didn't know about the "Public Folder" so I took quite a while to learn how to share files. However, all I get is the Drop Box from each computer.

How do I share the Hard Discs in both directions.

iBookG4 --> Intel-Mac | both using Tiger

--------------------------------------------------------------–

Would also like to know if the "connection method" is acceptable : a simple RJ45 Cable - or do I need a "Switch", a "Hub" or a"Router" ? My friend may be going on the net & was told that the DSL provider might furnish a router, will this have any effect on the set-up ?

Thanks very much

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

As long as the 2 Macs are on the same network (wired or wireless) then the easiest thing to do is on both Macs, go to System Preferences and then click on Sharing. Check the checkbox next to File Sharing. Do this on both computers. Then you can open a Finder window and click on Network in the sidebar and your other Mac should appear. Click on your other Mac and then click on Connect (double clicking on the Mac you're connecting to does the same thing) and it should prompt for a username and password. Put in the username and password for the Mac you're connecting to NOT the computer you're currently using. Its easier if both have the same username and password but its not exactly necessary for it to work. It just makes it easier. It should then come up and ask what HD's/partitions you want to mount including the home folder for the other computer. You can select 1 or more items and then click on ok or connect or whatever it says there. Then the mapped HD from your other Mac should appear on your desktop.

Let me know if you have any issues with these directions.