hard disk keeps getting smalling without me adding files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by levy, Mar 24, 2007.

1. levy macrumors newbie

The free space on my hard disk keeps getting smaller and smaller even when I don't install nothing on it.

How do I stop this? Because in stead of 40 GB I now have 11 GB and it keeps getting smaller :confused:

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Ive had this problem before, and my friend just had it now where they had 0gigs and they could still work. My guess is that for some reason the computer cant read the harddrive? Its a bad guess and itll be interesting to know why this is actually happening. I restarted but eventually it just all came back. Sorry that was no help. :(

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Try using an app like WhatSize, OmniDiskSweeper, or Disk Inventory X to see if you've got a large file somewhere. Runaway log files are often a cause of this...it's usually safe to just delete them and they won't come back. But if it does come back, then it's time to figure out what's causing it.

Another possible cause would be large video files ending up in unexpected places.

4. levy thread starter macrumors newbie

how do I know what what a runaway logfile is?

5. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Like WildCowboy said, run a program like WhatSize, OmniDiskSweeper, or DiskInventory X and any "runaway logfile" will stand out like a sore thumb. It will be a single file which is disproportionately large when compared to everything else.

6. levy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thx!!!!
    this really solved my problem!!!!
    It apeared there was a log file that was 80 GB.
    So thx a lot!!!!