Hard disk space thats just not there . . .

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acearchie, Feb 25, 2007.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

This may be a very basic question but I dont understand why my computer says my desktop is 800mb (or so) big when the items on it are nowhere near that size!

Here are my pics:

1. My desktop with the items on it!
    [​IMG]

2. This is the :apple: +i (info) on all the items on my desktop, (excluding Macintosh HD) add them all together and you dont get 800mb!
    [​IMG]

3. Here's the proof that my desktop is 800mb???? but where is it?
    [​IMG]

Thanks

P.s just incase your wondering why I am being so petty, as you can see I only have 11gb left on my 80gb hard drive so I wont to clear it up a bit but cant find memory?!

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

You may have some hidden files in your desktop folder. To see if that's the case, open up a terminal window, cd into your Desktop directory, and do an "ls -al" command and see if there's anything in that list that doesn't appear on your desktop.

FYI, the correct term here is "storage space" or "disk space", not "memory". Memory refers to, well, memory, like your system RAM.

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Do i just put in "ls -al" Ill try it and see if it works!

P.s thanks for the tip I have changed the title!

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

just tried it and got this:
    What do I do with it?

EDIT: easier to read

Attached Files:

5. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Use the command ls -laR to see everything. This Recurses through all the directories/folders. You may need to redirect the output to a file to examine everything, in which case use:

ls -laR > files.txt

Then use textedit or something to look at the file and see what you have there.

6. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I simplified your method downloaded a trial of Macpilot and clicked show hidden files! It was couple of random movies that were just a blank screen! but thanks for the help!