Hard Disk Strangely eating space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cougarcat, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Cougarcat macrumors 604

So I've got a 100 GB HD in my Powerbook, and I have about 5 GB remaining. A few months ago I noticed that those 5 GB will start dissapearing to the point where it says "Startup disk almost full." If I restart, I get those 5 GB back. I used Applejack to clean the caches, which seemed to work--but the problem has cropped up again. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

It seems that you might have a run away log file somewhere. I'll edit my post when I find the program you need.

Or maybe Mad Jew will get here first ;)

EDIT: See This Thread. Specifically, Post #3

3. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

you could try omnidisksweeper to see whats eating space on your hd. but anyway 5gb free out of 100gb is not safe, you should at all time have at least 10% free space on your hd. usually virtual memory can take a lot of space and if you have 2gb ram, for example, then these 2gb will be written on your hd when you put your machine to sleep.:D

4. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Try WhatSize , it's free. I use it all the time, when I'm running low on disk space.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I prefer Disk Inventory X. Secondly, it's your virtual memory that's eating your hard drive space.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I agree with Eidorian. Cougarcat, can you clarify...can you account for the hard disk space that's been used or does it seem to have mysteriously disappeared? I read it as though the 5 GB free is fully expected, which would not necessarily indicate a runaway log file. It's probably just swap files eating into your small amount of free space as you work and causing problems. You should consider either deleting some stuff or moving some of it to an external drive in order to free up some space on your internal.