Hard drive Blues...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by corywoolf, Aug 15, 2006.

1. corywoolf macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2004
    So after working on my demo reel for the past six months, I just had my external crap out on me. I saw the signs, but didn't think it would happen so quickly. It wasn't mounting every time I booted and it would lose connection randomly. I had tried to back up as much stuff to single layer dvd's as I could, but much of it being extremely large uncompressed video files could not be split over multiple disks without reconstructing animations in After Effects. So long story short, I got burned because I was a cheapo and didn't have a raid of drives setup to make mirror copies. I learned my lesson, I am getting 2x 250 GB FW 800 drives, a FW 800 Express card for my 15" MBP, and a double layer external burner. I have tried remounting it, reseting it, reconnecting the cables inside and have had no luck. I tried different computers and even using USB 2.0 to connect. I am out of ideas and will not spend over a grand to have Drive Savers recover the files. I lost over 10,000 songs, 2000 photos, my demo reel, time consuming animations, application installers, and much more. I am trying to look at it positively though, at least the third time around (accidentally deleted entire iPod with demo reel files 6 months ago) my demo reel should be more polished. Here is the screenshot of my effort to repair it in disk utility. :(

Attached Files:

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Seems a little early to be giving up if Disk Utility can actually see it. Have you tried a program like Data Rescue II?

...or, for that matter, a heavier-duty directory repair program than Disk Utility?

I'd also recommend finding a Mac to install the drive in internally--you can probably get more done with it if it's mounted directly via IDE than through a bridge board.