Hard Drive Buying Advice 200Gb Seagate?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ChrisFromCanada, Jun 6, 2004.

1. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Hello I think I have found a pretty good deal on a hard drive. It is a Seagate 200GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-100 EIDE Hard Drive. So, I have 3 questions about this hard drive:

1. Will work it as a second hard drive in my computer, I see that my computer takes ATA-66 hard drives and this one is ATA-100 is it backwards compatable? (see sig. or http://www.apple-history.com/noframes/body.php?page=gallery&model=g4_quick_2002 for detailed specs)

2. Does anyone have this hard drive, any problems?

3. Is $137 (tax and shipping included) a good price?

Thanks for your help. Its been sitting in my shopping cart for a while.

P.S. I did a search but couldn't find all the info I needed.

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

1. Yes ATA-66 and ATA-100 are backward compatible, but the drive will work at the ATA-66 Speed. It can easily work as a second drive, you just use drive setup to begin using the new drive
    2. I have not used Seagate myself, but if it has a good warranty then that should do you find if it goes bad.
    3. That is a great price, a 200GB drive for that cost is a bargin

3. studebakerhwk13 macrumors newbie

Check the Seagate website. They have a pre-purchase info number so you can talk to a tech and specifically ask about your computer and setup. If you are going to use it in your dual processor and you are running OSX, I think you will find that it will work. Seems like single processor units and OS9 will not recognize more than 128GB through ATA. Check with them ... they were most helpful when I had the same question.

4. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I have that exact same Hard Drive! Go for it!

I have had no problems with it at all. I intalled it into an external enclosure and hooked it up to my PB without problems. $137 is a good deal for it, but I bought mine for $99 ;) . It was a special deal at CompUSA.

Anyway, the drive is great, I would highly recommend it.

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

5. ChrisFromCanada thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Well the deal is $89 but when you count tax and shipping it is $137 (Ahh Canada, home of 15% tax)

Well looks like I will probably go ahead with it. I got to thinking it would probably be stupid to have a professional install this and pay outreageous prices so maybe I will install it myself. So I opened up my computer and I saw that there was an extra open ATA cable (I think) and power cable. If I were to install this could I just stack it on top of my current HD? I also see that there is lots of room in the computer. I can see 6 or 7 empty areas for them but how many can my computer handle? And how would I get more power and ATA cables? Can I split the ATA that is currently split to two even further to three?

As you can probably see I don't know that much about the insides of computers. Maybe someone could direct me to a website? I saw apple's video for this computer about exchanging HD's but did not see anything about adding additional HD's

Thanks very much for all of your help.