Hard drive cant be modified?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dave1234, May 31, 2003.

1. dave1234 macrumors regular

whenever i try to move something onto my hard drive, i get a little white circle with a bar running through it. And it saiz hard drive cant be modified? How do i get arounf this?

2. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Re: Hard drove cant be modified?

first one to try resolving the problem :D lol ?

-> probably mounted in a wrong way. If there is no other possibility just throw a look at the fstab. Probably you got only read access
    resp. If you can move and copy in some dir s but no in others, it is certainly a right problem. Just use ls -l to check that.
    it s possible that this helps. if not, tell me...

3. dave1234 thread starter macrumors regular

uhhhhhhh.

Sorry, your going to have to dumb it down for me, i didnt understand a word you typed. Thanks for the time.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

is it on an external or internal HD?
    OS X (probably...)?
    Like maradong stated, it's probably because you're not ALLOWED to (permissions).... You might not have "write access" to that particular drive or, or in the directory on the drive you want to modify.

5. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: Hard drove cant be modified?

lol, don't be such a showoff :p

if he knew all that stuff you mentioned well enough to get around with it like you assume he does, why the hell would he be asking this in the first place? gotta make those terminal commands pretty specific ;)

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

lord god you people, you're making this difficult.... First a couple of questions...

Dave1234... As was asked, is this an internal HD (like your system is running from it), external (like, one you use just for certain purposes), or a network HD?
    Also, are you running OS X?

If you're running X, and it's an external drive, both are reasonable assumptions i think... Click on the drive's icon, go to File -> Get Info. Click the "Ownership & Permissions" triangle. The Owner should be your username, with Read & Write access, if not click the Unlock button, authenticate, and change it.

You should also repair permissions (this might automatically do the above steps)... Open the program "Disk Utility" in your /Applications/Utilities/ folder, click the "First Aid" box, select your disk and click "Repair Disk Permissions". Should fix you right up.

:)
    pnw

7. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Re: Re: Re: Hard drove cant be modified?

hm that was thought to help him ... not to blow myself up .... really.

8. dave1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Internal hardrive on my G4 powerbook, 12 in, os x

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Internal?? that's unexpected... Repair permissions as I explaned above, i'll bet that fixes it. But that's weird, i didn't think the root level of a HD could be made r-- for the administrator. Ah, it's been too long since i actually knew anything about permissions anyway.

pnw

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hard drove cant be modified?

i know dude, i was just kidding about the showoff thing. i wasn't kidding though, that you have to baby some of the people that ask questions that have terminal fixes. i promise you, most people that have questions are NOT terminal users. :D

11. visor macrumors 6502

hehe, well, which directory do you want to modify? Do you have more than one user defined,
    are you an admin on the system ->find out using the system settings, user preferences.

Finally open a terminal (should be in the dock, but won't be if you never put is there ;)) and type
    ls -al
    drag and drop a file you want to modify behind it from the finder, delete the filemane so only the directory is shown...
    press enter

you should see something like
    drwxr-xr-x 1 dave staff 7 May 7 11:02

if dave says 'root' and the permissions arent set to global read/write, then you don't have access ;)

permissions explain very easy:

drwx
    d - directory
    r read
    w write
    x execute

1st three are user permisisons, then group, and finally global permissions.

12. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

that happens to me on my slot loading 4ooMhz iMac (combo drive).

i just restart it, and the problem is fixed. if that doesn't work, i don't know.

13. bordenkecher macrumors member

i need help too

sort of like the origional poster i only have read access to my external 250g drive. although when i connect the hard drive to my dell i can do whatever the heck i want with it, but when i connect it w/ my macbook pro i only get read access to it. i tried going into the disk utility but the "repair disk permissions" button is greyed out. so i really have no clue what to do. i tried going into it from my dell but theres no preferances there to change.

any suggestions?

also when i did the whole terminal thing i got this:

-bash: -rwxr-xr-x ...., i dont know if that means i admin access or what but my profile on my comp says im admin.