Hard Drive clicking?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by AngeredTree, Jul 20, 2004.

1. macrumors member

I just got my new PowerBook today with the 80 gig HD upgrade and one of the first things I noticed (Other than the fact that it rocks a little on its feet....i think this is pretty common, whats the fix?) is that there is a really slight clicking sound coming from the hard drive I believe. It only happens once and a while, maybe once every 10 seconds, but not on a regular rhythm. Is this normal? thanks.

2. macrumors G4

Mord

yes that is normal HD's do that.

3. macrumors 65816

Of course. Don't worry about it. I just got a 15" last month and it clicks once in a while. Usually only when your doing a lot of things at once or downloading files.

4. macrumors 68020

mymemory

I have a drive clicking for the last 2 years. A sales guy told me it was about to crack 2 years ago. But is a good time to back up your data any way. The HD of my new 12" never made any sound and is actually no making a single sound any more because is damage some how.

5. macrumors 68020

Most likely, it's normal activity. Could you record the sound and post it for us to hear? Perhaps we're not communicating audio very well verbally...

6. thread starter macrumors member

i'll see if i can get a recording, but I think the fan from my old G3 might be too loud...I guess i would describe it as about as loud as an analog clock ticking if you put your ear up to it....except that it is only once and a while, I think its prolly just normal operation then, its just that I can remember hearing older hard drives make the "clicking" noise all the time, rapidly while accessing information. It's no where near that frequent...