Hard Drive Enclosure

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Steven1621, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

Anyone have a suggestion for a quality hard drive enclosure? I'm looking for a USB 2.0 case for a desktop drive. I scaned through some old threads but there wasn't much of a consensus.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I don't think there's much to choose. I've bought a few now from CompUSA, Frys and a local store and they all work fine. It's really only the power supply that's the issue. A couple of tips though......

1) Firewire is quite a bit faster than USB2 in sustained transfer rates
    2) Some enclosures have USB2 and Firewire support, which gives you the best of both worlds
    3) I bought an enclosure for a 5.25" drive, and mounted a replaceable drive dock into it. Now I can plug a variety of hard disks into the dock for different purposes - backup, media files, downloads, whatever. It's a convenient way to put those smaller capacity drives you have lying around to good use.

3. brap macrumors 68000

Since you have the newest 1.5GHz PB... with Firewire 800... you might want to look into a LaCie D2. They're allegedly (I don't have FW800 yet) crazy fast.

4. railthinner macrumors regular

similar needs

I just replaced my powerbook drive with a hitachi travelstar and am looking for a 2.5" firewire enclosure. I've looked at newegg, and small dog, but nothing is jumping out at me. So, if anyone out there has any good recomendations, I too could use 'em.

Oh yeah, I also looked at OWC but they seem a little over priced. thoughts?

5. Steven1621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

crazy fast, also crazy expensive. i don't need that speed enough to justify the cost. would be nice, though.

6. Steven1621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i have heard that vantec is a good name. i have been doing a bit of research.

7. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i have a lacie d2 running on firewire 400 and its very very nice. very quick (well in comparison to my 4200rpm internal drive!).

its wasnt too expensive. it cost me £100 for the 120gb version. i bet on firewire 800 it would be nice! :)

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

9. Steven1621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

good point. i didn't realize there was that much of a difference.

10. palusami macrumors regular

palusami

hard drive enclosure

i recently bought a firewire enclosure for my dvd r so i could use it with my powerbook. one website that i found pretty helpful in terms of a variety of enclosures (both usb and fw based as well as enclosures for hd, cd and dvd burners) is other world computing. http://eshop.macsales.com/

they have a wide selection of enclosures. funny thing is after i was all set to buy from owc, i stopped by frys and found a dvd enclosure for about $20 less than what was on owc. its a bit of a trade off though since i had to pay sales tax. if i ordered from owc, there's no sales tax (since i live in ca) and shipping is free for items over a certain $$ amount. i just would have to wait a week or so and i was getting anxious.

although i didn't buy the enclosure from owc, i did buy some memory from them and had a great experience overall.

hope this helps...

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've bought two FW800 hard drives from OWC, and they're great (almost full too ;)). I'll hopefully be getting another one, as soon as I can afford it (along with the millions of other things on that list :()

12. brap macrumors 68000

Yeah, yeah... I have the 320GB Extreme running on FW400... damn fast, relative to both my PCs ATA100 7200rpm beasts, and the 5400rpm in my Powerbook... just not had firsthand experience of the firewire 800 speeds.

Sorry if the suggestion was way out, it's from the fact these work out equal to, or cheaper than a comparative home-made drive over here :eek:

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

OWC's cases are nice. You do get what you pay for. But I would definitely buy the drive and case separately. Cheaper that way. If you are going for price, just buy an Oxford case and drive from Newegg. Read the reviews, make sure it has large drive support, etc. Personally, I was pretty happy with a model I bought here. But it's mostly just a backup, so I'm not sure how good they are in the long run.

14. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I have a friend who has one of the vantec cases from newegg, and they are nice. I personally bought a combo enclosure from CompUSA for $40 for a 250GB HD. Even though it gets hot, it works like fine so far.