Hard Drive erased, my ipod is left!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sammyman, Apr 2, 2005.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

Mar 21, 2005
    Bad luck guys. My hard drive is gone, all my music is toast. Can I get my music off my iPod to my computer now that it is freshly formatted? Is there any way to do that without putting in every cd I own into my computer and importing them individually? I can't figure it out in iTunes. Thanks
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    Can't do it with the default iTunes. Otherwise everyone would start trading songs though iPods. But you can get plugins to be able to do this. Something like this can do it though: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25088 Look though versiontracker.com for other tools like this, I'm sure there are more if this doesn't do it right.
  3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    Too bad iTunes / iPod can't work this way be default from Apple. It is an excellent near automatic backup for your music. Anyone that really wanted to share their mp3s with other users can easily using a firewire/usb2 external drive for less money. It just won't have the Apple logo and design. So I don't see the reason the iPod needs to be crippled anymore. Protected music is still protected. This is dumb.
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I couldn't agree more. The iTunes/iPod combo is needlessly crippled in quite a few ways just to please the fat record companies. Don't get me started on the drag & drop limitations of iTunes! :mad: