Hard drive Failure

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Regular-John, May 29, 2006.

1. Regular-John macrumors member

Hi All

I think my hard drive is a goner! It makes a very strange noise and won't mount.

It's only a few months old so I'm going to take it back to the Apple store and get another one.

Quick question, I have all my movies on there that I ripped from my personal collection, can I get in trouble for having all my ripped movies on there?

I own every single DVD that is on there.

I know that may sound like a stupid question, but I don't really know it it's within my rights to have a digital copy of my DVD's.

Thanks. in advance.

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Depends on your local copyright law. Here in NZ it's technically illegal to copy just about anything for anything other than research purposes.

But I wouldn't worry about it. Chasing these kinds of cases is worth less than the industry would gain from it. Copying for distribution is another matter.

3. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

If your drive is defective and you return it to apple, they are not going to take the time or effort to recover data off the drive. They likely will toss it in the trash.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

HDs aren't as reliable as they used to be, because the "quiet mechanisms" are more fragile than the rock tumblers of the old days -- and the high heat and stale enclosures cook the drives.

Because of the high number of HD failures, it's up to the customer to make backups, while Apple just tosses your old drive.

Basically, if the drive is dead -- Apple won't care what is on the drive -- because they don't save data off a dead drive.

5. Regular-John thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for that!

But out of interest, would they report something like that if they could retrieve the data?

Cheers.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Why would they even try to retreave the data?

IMHO, they would waste their time to try and see what is on a failed HD. Nor would they try and recover the data.