Hard Drive --> From PC to iBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Eckslusive, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Eckslusive macrumors 6502

hey..i've successfully formatted my HD from my PC. Now can I put it in my iBook? Or will it not work?

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

How big is the drive? notebook harddrives are 2.5' while the standard desktop harddrive is 3.5" it wouldn't fit at all. Your only option is to put the drive in a firewire enclosure to work with your iBook. Excluysive why are you so into changing your iBook, its laptop, expandibilty is not a selling point atall.

3. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

hey...the PC i meant Laptop Windows and I'm changing it into the iBook cause the iBook is faster than the laptop PC.

4. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

So will it work? Cause the drive is completely formatted.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

So what? You've formatted the disk so it is now blank? If so then not really as you will need it to be formatted for Mac (assuming you want to boot from the drive). Your OSX install CD can format the HD to HFS+ though.

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i know its hard and nearly impossible to change it but good luck.

7. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

You should be able to use it, the hardest part will be the physical replacement. Formating it on the pc shouldn't mean anything because your gonna have to format it in Mac OS. But i have had no problem using harddrives on my powermac, i;ve used a western digital and a maxtor.

8. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

Cause i'm just wondering cause it is in FAT32 so when i put it in my ibook will it read it or will it be like NO CAN DO, WRONG FORMAT

9. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

OSX will read the disk, but if you want to install the OS on the disk, you'll need to re-format into Unix File System of HFS, if you put the PC notebook drive in the iBook, it can use it no problem, but with no OS it aint gonna boot up or anything.

10. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

so I have to place it into a laptop and format it as a HFS first and then place it in the iBook, and then install the OS?

Do I have to do this if I buy a completely new one?

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

wow, have fun replacing that beast. i would recommend taking to a reseller and have them put it in. and if you think the price is unreasonable, put it in your self, because they will make even more money when you bring it back to them in pieces and have them put it back togehter. unless your a pro at ibooks.

iJon

12. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

No, just put it into the iBook, make sure its all connected, then when you startup from the CD (hold the c key when booting) when you try to install the OS X it will tell you that it needs to be reformated (near the last step) and then you'll get a choice to format as HFS, and thats it. If you want to partition the disk, then before going past the "choose language menu" click the apple menu and choose "disk utility." Hope that helps.

13. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

I also noticed that you bought the iBook (well, switched) at the end of November last year. You'll lose any and all warranties if you open the iBook up, most likely.

14. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Have someone else do it

I installed a new 40 gig travelstar hard drive in a snow iBook and I never want to do it again. It was a major pain to pry the case apart without breaking it. Not to mention, there are over 30 screws that you have to unscrew before you can install the drive. The screws are different sizes but look the same to the naked eye.

Putting the iBook back together is a total NIGHTMARE!! I think I had about 8 screws left over when I was done. As I always say when messing with the guts of computers, "When in doubt, leave it out".

My advice would be to have a certified Apple Technician do the installation of the hard drive.

15. AnotherMortal macrumors regular

Agreed: Have an Apple Tech do it!

I work for a AASP and its a B@!#$ and a half to replace iBook hard drives. I've done it on the clamshells and on the snow iBooks. There literally are 30 some screws and if it wasn't for the service manual, I'd have never found the screw hidden under a small magnet where the keyboard lies. My advice: Get an Apple tech to do it, and even then they might not do it because it isn't an apple hard drive, or because you didn't buy it from them.