Hard drive icon on desktop doesn't stay put

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RockTheGlobe, May 11, 2005.

1. RockTheGlobe macrumors member

For some odd reason, my hard drive icon never appears at the top right of the desktop (where I leave it) when I start up. I have a line of files going down the right-hand side of my screen, and whenever I boot up, the hard drive icon appears below all the other files. I drag the hard drive icon back up to the top right, but whenever I boot up again... there it is at the bottom of the icon stack again! I've tried doing a Clean Up Desktop... no avail.

Any suggestions? This isn't a serious problem -- just an annoyance since my AIM window covers the hard drive icon when it's not at the top of the screen.

BTW -- running a Powerbook 1GHz with OS 10.3.7.

2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Not at my mini right now so i can't check for sure, but
    there is a view menu in finder which lets you select options. Make sure that the checkbox for sorting the items alphabeticaly is not checked. And maybe check for other settings in this small but cool settings panel.

When your problem is solved i would like to take over this thread for a problem i'm having with my desktop icons, so sort it out fast! plz ;)

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The top right corner is really the HD's "home" on a Mac desktop. It is placed there when it is mounted during start-up. Has been that way for ages. My advice: Move the documents elsewhere...

4. RockTheGlobe thread starter macrumors member

Sadly, that didn't work. Despite nothing else being on the right side of the desktop, the hard drive icon still shows up halfway down the screen... any other suggestions, anyone?