Hard Drive Icon placement???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by masterjedi73, Jan 29, 2004.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

I know this seems like a stupid question, but is there a way to move the HD icon to the upper left corner and keep it there? It moved back after I had restarted the computer.

Thanks

2. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

No.

That's where it goes in Windows. On a Mac all icons are on the right side of the screen.

If you stop and think about it...it makes more sense since most programs obscure the drive icons when they are on the left.

macboyX...with all my icons on the right :)

3. Versello macrumors regular

But when you think about it... Western Society reads left - to -right.

4. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Hmmm....that's kind of a bummer. It just drives me crazy to be constantly looking up there for the icon. I still have to use Windows machines at work, and they're networked so I can't even move the windows icon to the right. I just want a little bit of common ground. lol

I know you can move the dock around, but it would definitely be beneficial to be able to permanantly move the icons, too.

5. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Maybe you should switch the icons on your Windows box to the right side of the screen, and just get used to it.

6. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

That's what I said above, but since they're all networked I'm unable to do that...

7. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Ah, I missed that one. :embarassed: Oh, hmmm.. well I guess you're stuck. Something like that probably wouldn't bother me, but I can see how it could be annoying.

8. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

you could get your drive on the left using an app called Dock it

Basically create a hard drive dock, set it on transparent and position it top left.

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

i use windows almost every day, dont have a problem with the way the icons are placed on both Mac and Windows.
    I dont know why people want their icons on the left either, its always felt more natural for the icons to be on the right for me since in both Windows and Mac OS new windows always obscure icons that are on the left.
    I think there *might* be a setting that lets you change the way the icons are placed, but man just get used to it :)

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Carry a mirror and use it on one of your machines.:p